[Advaita-l] Without Shakti, Brahman has no role

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 08:12:30 EDT 2017

Namaste
On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 1:56 PM, Bhaskar YR via Advaita-l <

> praNAms
> Hare Krishna
>
> Shakti and Shakta abedha is quite conspicuous in bhAshya.  If we equate
> this shankti with mAyA there will be no problem since mAyA as brahma Shakti
> which is  too,  quite evident in bhAshya vAkya-s.  But when mAyA is used as
> synonym to avidyA then all the problem starts and we have to conclude that
> brahma has the potency which is avidyA !!  sarvashaktitva and sarvajnatva
> are the inherent svabhAva/quality of brahman (itareya introductory
> bhAshya)  which will be executed during srushti  and will be in avyakta
> rUpa (unmanifested form) when brahman is nishkriya.  And again, as has been
> said umpteen times earlier avidyA is jeevAshrita (svAbhAvika and evident in
> day to day vyavahAra - vide adhyAsa bhAshya) whereas mAya as prakruti /
> Shakti is IshvarAdheena (mAyenantu maheshwaraM - shruti / daivee hyeshA
> guNamayee mama mAyA - geetAchArya) these two adjoined (saMyukta) when jeeva
> experiences the saMsAra...Hence we can find the vAkya-s like : avidyA
> pratyupasthApita nAma rUpa mAyA, ahaMkAra iti avidyA saMyuktaM avyaktaM,
> avidyAdi antardOshavat mAyA, prakrutyA avidyArUpaH saMyOgaH saMsAraH
> (prakruti /mAyA and avidyA both are entirely different hence bhAshyakAra
> used the saMyOga pada to adjoin these two) etc.  Shakti is mAyA it is not
> avidyA because Shakti and jnana are intrinsic qualities of brahman.  Sri
> SSS detailed all these subtle aspects of vedAnta in mAndUkya rahasya
> vivrutti ( kArAnAvidyA in sushupti),  gaudapAda hrudaya, sugamA and
> avasthAtraya chandrikA.
>
> Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
> bhaskar
>
> But if you have followed recent discussion it will be clear even Ishwara
can be Avidyaa Ashraya also. Take Siva and Bhasmasura. If Siva is so
powerful against Maayaa why He became tricked by Bhasmaasura? Why Raama ran
after the
Hiranya Mruga? All these questions are answered only if you accept even
Iswara also  is Avidyaa Ashraya just like ordinary Jeeva is Avidyaa
Ashraya.

Then you will invariably ask what is difference between Ishwara and Jeeva?
Both can have Avidyaa. Yes but Ishwara is very infrequently under Avidyaa's
control but Jeeva is very frequently under Avidyaa control. Example - Siva
saw Mohini and got disturbed even though He has Parvati the foremost
Pativrata sitting with Him. But He got back control quickly. OTOH the
Rishis doing Tapas lost control seeing the Apsaras.

If Avidyaa is so powerful it has to be same as Maayaa only. Avidyaa and
Maayaa are one and the same. SSS cannot justify they are different. Ishwara
is like a Magician and Maayaa is in His control. But Maayaa is tricking
others. Therefore it is same as Avidyaa.

-Venkatesh