[Advaita-l] Without Shakti, Brahman has no role

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 14:27:08 EDT 2017

Namaste

advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org>:

> Namaste Sir
>                   I don't know all as you said but I want little more
> clarification about the sentence as you maintained 'That Shakti is nothing
> but Maya only and Avidyaatmikaa.'
> and my second doubt is can we compare with  Saundarya Lahari and
> Brahmasutra Bhasya in the context of "Maya" and Shakti. however, both work
> has written by Sankaracharya ji but can we? kindly clear my doubts.
>

> There are two ways to understand Shakti. One way is Shakti is same as
Maayaa and same as Avidyaa. Another way is Shakti is same as Brahman
itself. How? Because Shakti is not always causing creation or destruction
of something. Example if Solar Energy is stored in a battery cell it is not
doing anything. It is simply existing. You can make that battery to do some
work like light a bulb but not necessarily. You can keep that battery
without doing anything. If Shakti is simply Existing and not doing anything
It is same as Sat that is Brahman. It is two different names only but they
are the same Sat.

And when Shakti is doing something like Srushti, Sthiti and Laya of Jagat
it becomes Maayaa or Avidyaa.

In Saundarya Lahari Adi Sankara has used both meanings and said Parabrahma
Mahishi. She is queen of Parabrahma Shiva. But Shiva and Shakti are same
not different. Therefore Shakti is Para Brahman only.