[Advaita-l] Fwd: Video: Sringeri Jagadguru: Do not expect return for help rendered

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 07:41:41 EDT 2017

Namaste

Many people today expect return help like they want insurance against
miserable situations. They think miserable situations will definitely come
to all human beings. When they come they will expect return help from
others. Hanuman is special because he is Sankata Mochana. He will solve any
problem alone.
On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 at 12:23 PM, V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l <

> Access the video here:

> Gist of the talk by the Jagadguru: Desist from doing to others that which
> will cause them pain. When others cause us pain we do not like that.
> Instead help others by all means. When helping others never expect any
> benefit from them as return to you. Is is merely our duty to help others.
> The Bhagavadgita 17.20 teaches that the best gift is that which is given to
> such a one who is not in a position to return anything to us. There is an
> instance in the Ramayana to demonstrate this. Hanuman performed the
> matchless deed of help to Rama by leaping to Lanka, locating Sita,
> conversing with her and securing her chudamani (ornament worn on the head)
> as a mark of identity and giving that to Rama. This is not an ordinary help
> but a magnificent one. Acknowledging this help from Hanuman, Rama addressed
> him thus: You have done a great deed of help to me. I will never forget
> that. However, you have to forget this help. Why? If you are expecting any
> return from me for this help you have done to me, that would be wrong. Why?
> This help from you came to me when I was in great misery. In case you
> expect a return from me, it will have to be when you are in misery. Thus,
> while expecting a return of help from me, you are also expecting a
> miserable situation for yourself. Why should that be? Let no misfortune
> befall you and let no return of help come to you from me. Is that not much
> better than expecting any return for help rendered? The verse cited is: नरः
> प्रत्युपकारार्थी विपत्तिमधिकांक्षति । [ he who expects a return of help
> also wishes for himself a miserable situation.]

-Venkatesh