[Advaita-l] Vaadiraaja Teertha's Yuktimallika - Advaita Criticism - Slokas 1-10 to 1-13

Srinath Vedagarbha svedagarbha at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 16:36:36 EDT 2017

On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 7:13 AM, Bhaskar YR via Advaita-l <

> Only one answer to the dvaitins. It is the Veda itself that tells us, atra
> vedA avedAH.
>
> Yes prabhuji, it is shruti itself saying that…but dvaitins donot interpret
> it that way that we do,  keeping the importance of shabda pramANa in mind.
> According to them veda avedAH etc.  something related to  not knowing
> anything at that state and it is not the non-existence of shruti / veda.
> Sri Krishna Kadiri prabhuji in vAdAvaLi group, has quoted something with
> related to this from anuvyAkhyAna by madhvAchArya and argued why veda is
> avedAH not related to shruti / veda  pramANa.

Yes that's correct.

In shruti vAkya 'atra vEdA avEdAH' , Dvaitins do not consider the term vEda
as a text, but rather as a verb. Why so? There is a background behind this
interpretation.

We should first understand why vEda-s are called 'vEda' from immemorial
times.

Madhva quotes pipplAda sruti -- nEndriyANi nAnumAnaM vEdA haivainam
vEdayanti tasmAdAhuH 'vEdAH' -- iti pipplAda sruti

Sri. Jaya Tirtha comments on this quote of Madhva and says --

  enaM paramAtmAnam.h  | tasmAt.h vedanakaraNatve
  samAne.api asAdhAraNyena vyapadeshA bhavantIti nyAyAt.h
  vishishhTavastuvedanakaraNatvAdeva hi etAn.h vedA ityAhuH  |

  The term `enaM' (meaning 'this') refers to the Parabrahman.  Although the
property of informing/revealing [about something or the other] is common
  [to the Vedas and other texts], it is because these texts (veda-s) gives
information about such a 'apUrva' tatva', hence such texts are called
called `Veda'.

So, in Dvaita siddhAnta it is understood as when one is reached his
ultimate state of mOxa, these texts have no more to 'inform/reveal', and
hence they are called avEda. It is not that these texts will
disappear/sublate as understood by AV.

/sv

Side note:

There is such thing as nirupa-pada viShEShaNa usage in the astika
sampradAya. When a member in a class is utkruShTa/apoorva (special), such
member is called by the name of class itself. Just as  bhagavAn vEda-vyAsa
is simply called  'vyAsa' (without a qualifier) among all other members in
vyAsa class such as drouNi-vyAsa etc. So also term 'tIrtha' used synonymous
to refer to gangA only even though other sacred rivers are also tIrtha-s.
This is the same reason those texts are 'vEda' because of their special
premium status.