[Advaita-l] Vaadiraaja Teertha's Yuktimallika - Advaita Criticism - Slokas 1-14 to 1-16

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 04:27:29 EDT 2017

Namaste,
If this is the level of criticism, I am quite disappointed.

If he is criticising the advaitin for calling Atma as nirAkAra, Sri
vAdiraja is better of directing that criticism to the shruti, which is the
source of the advaitin's position. But he would not dare to do so.

In several places, across different upaniShads, the asharIratvam of
paramAtma is talked about.

KaTha upaniShad 1.2.22
अशरीरं शरीरेषु अनवस्थेष्ववस्थितम् ।
महान्तं विभुमात्मानं मत्वा धीरो न शोचति ॥ २२ ॥

Mundaka upaniShad 1.1.6
यत्तदद्रेश्यमग्राह्यमगोत्रमवर्णमचक्षुःश्रोत्रं तदपाणिपादम् ।
नित्यं विभुं सर्वगतं सुसूक्ष्मं तदव्ययं यद्भूतयोनिं परिपश्यन्ति धीराः ॥ ६ ॥

Kaivalya upaniShad 21
अपाणिपादोहमचिन्त्यशक्तिः पश्याम्यचक्षुः स शृणोम्यकर्णः ।
अहं विजानामि विविक्तरूपो न चास्ति वेत्ता मम चित्सदाहम् ॥

In these and many more examples, there is shruti pramANa for the
asharIratvam of Atma. If shruti itself, the only pramANa for Ishvara says
Atma is nirAkAra, how can this be an insult to ISvara?

Venkatesh ji, could you skip the part where vadirAja is coming up with
silly faults like these and post sections where there are serious doctrinal
issues being raised?

Thanks,
Venkatraghavan

On 21 Jun 2017 7:26 a.m., "Venkatesh Murthy via Advaita-l" <