[Advaita-l] Vaadiraaja Teertha's Yuktimallika - Advaita Criticism - Slokas 1-511 to 1-524

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 04:21:29 EDT 2017

Reg << The VP (intro 6) says, "yAvat ghaTasphuraNaM tAvad
ghaTAkAra-antaHkaraNavRttir ekaiva na tu nAnA vRtteH
svavirodhivRttyutpattiparyantaM sthAyitva-abhyupagamAt| tathA ca
tatpratiphalitacaitanyarUpaM ghaTAdijnAnamapi tatra
tAvatkAlikamekameveti... So there will be one vRtti and one corresponding
cognition (jnAna) for the contiguous series(dhArAvAhika)  of cognitions.
This single cognition and vRtti will last until an opposing vRtti arises
and cancels it out, which should happen when the pot is no longer being
perceived. >>,

Sri Suryanarayana Shastry, in notes 2 of his translation of VP, has this to
say in this connection.

Quote  << If novelty is insisted on for prAmAnya, a difficulty arises when
there is continuous cognition of one and the same object ; the instants of
cognition other than the first would be invalid ; and that is unacceptable,
since all the causes of the original adequate cognition persist. The
difficulty is met in more ways than one. One answer objects to the cutting
up of a single cognition into discrete instants ; another accepts the
dissection, but admits a different temporal content or each instant, so
that novelty is still secured. On this view, time is treated as
*perceptible* >.  Unquote.

As per the translation by Swami Madhavananda also both the alternatives are
presented in VP as per footnotes 6 and 7 to VP (intro 6) of  his
 translation.

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 10:06 PM, Praveen R. Bhat via Advaita-l <