[Advaita-l] Some thoughts on the nature of bliss

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 05:19:09 EST 2017

Pranams Sri sadananda Ji,

Reg  << In my original post some time back,  I was referring to Sloka 35 of
Ch. 14 of Panchadashi - where there appears to be indication of the
visyayaananda too through bodies. One explanation is as witnessing agent he
witnesses all the anandas of all jeevas - in that case he also should also
witness the sufferings of all jeevas - that was the point raised.>>,

Sloka 35 pertains to a Jnani who has concentrated his mind on Brahman. He
is then “enjoying” the svarupaananda as Brahman. But since the context here
is happiness experienced by different jivas from a sovereign upto
Hiranyagarbha vis-à-vis that experienced by a jnani, instead of
svarupananda, the jnani is depicted as “enjoying” omniscience as Iswara.
That is how I would understand this verse.

Reg  << Venkatraghavanji says vishayaandanda of jnaani is only figurative
statement. His swaruuapaanada being akhanDam, it only dribbles down as
vishyaanandas when there is saatvic vRittis.>>,

I am not sure in what context he has made that statement. But as I said in
my earlier post, a jnani does experience joy/sorrow just like any of us
when he is not concentrating on Brahman and has diverted his attention to
jagat.

Regards