[Advaita-l] Why brahma jnAna is capable of sarva nivritti

Srinath Vedagarbha svedagarbha at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 06:35:30 EDT 2017

On Sun, Mar 26, 2017 at 11:56 AM, Anand Hudli via Advaita-l <

> Let me clarify the example of the gem and the lamp. There are two rooms, A
> and B. Room A contains a gem alone, and room B contains a lamp alone. Light
> emanates from both the rooms, ie. light from the gem in A and light from
> the lamp in B. Two persons, P1 and P2 are standing outside the two rooms,
> which are themselves some distance apart so that P1 is somewhere near A and
> P2 is near B.  Person P1 sees the light from room A only (not from B) and
> runs after it thinking it is coming from a gem. Person P2 see the light
> from room B only (not from A) and runs after it, also thinking it is coming
> from a gem. However, P1 does succeed in finding the gem in room A,

whereas P2 finds no gem but a lamp in room B. We say person P1 experienced
> a saMvAdi-bhrama (P1 found the desired object), while person P2 experienced
> a visaMvAdibhrama (P2 did not find the desired object).

If room A is now said to be containing only gem (and no lamp), and the
light is said to be coming from the gem only; then why would anyone call
the first case is bhramA? It is quite yathArtha only -- for it is based on
hEtu (seeing light) and finding the sAdya (the gem). samvAdi-bhrama is
contradiction in terms. If the initial jnAna is later found to be samvAdi
to vastusthiti, it is not a bhrama at all. In Western language, it is
validity by correspondence.

/sv