[Advaita-l] What can one do when one is dying?

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Wed May 3 03:24:56 EDT 2017

One may talk 'n' no. of philosophies but who knows when the death comes !

praNAms Sri Sriram prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Very true prabhuji.  saMprApte sannihite kAle nahi nahi rakshati these dry philosophies...yaM yaM vApi smaran bhAvam tyajatyante kalevaraM ...what should be our bhAva when we are ready to shed our bhautika shareera ??  well that depends on what saMskAra we have given to our mana during the entire life... Perhaps instinctive thoughts at troubling times during our life time would give us an idea of our dominant thought at the time of our death.  Even though we might be uncompromised advaitins,  during the difficult times if we remember our ArAdhya devata / ishta devata (without going by the philosophical stand that I am not BMI, no sukha /duHkha etc. for me etc.) and earnestly wants his/her divine intervention then most probably we would get that type of thought only at the time of our death.  Sri Sadananda prabhuji some months back explained his near death experience and his dominating thought just before he was unconscious.  We had discussed at that time why an advaitin like Sri Sada prabhuji  did not get the dominating thought like Upanishad satya-s like  ahaM brahmAsmi, tattvamasi etc. instead remembering the lord's name.  Well again, to the question how we should be dying as an advaita sAdhaka  ?? IMHO, no common answer is possible as it depends on individual and needs to be decided on case to case basis :-)

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar