[Advaita-l] Who is Ishwara? He is NARAYANA only. Beautiful and soothing Narayana Bhajan

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sat May 20 22:10:55 EDT 2017

On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 11:05 PM, Venkatesh Murthy via Advaita-l <

> Namaste
>
> I listen to this popular Narayana Bhajan without fail everyday like
> many many people -
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnLfUf1Iefc
>
> In the Narayana Sukta Narayana is the Ultimate Ishwara. Who is He? The
> Upanisad has said -
>
> sa brahma sa śivaḥ sa hariḥ sendraḥ so'kṣaraḥ paramaḥ svarāṭ.
>
> He is Brahma, Siva, Vishnu, Indra and other gods. He is the
> Imperishable, the Absolute, the Autonomous Being.

Sayana in the bhashya to this sukta says - it is not any mūrtiviṣeśa, that
is not any particular form, meaning that it is Nirguna Brahman. He gives
the shruti 'param jyotirupasampadya..' which is discussed in the brahma
sutra bhashya as the self that is realized upon right knowledge. This is
nirguna Brahman in Advaita.  Sayana also says that this entity is the
adhishthana for the aropita jagat. That is again nirguna brahman.

regards
vs