[Advaita-l] Question/Clarification on Chanting Vaidika mantras

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 2 00:56:00 EDT 2017

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen -at- gmail.com wrote:

> Therefore, knowing the meaning is secondary to the extent of being almost moot.

No, I'm saying that there is a significant effect of knowing the meaning of the Vedic Mantras that goes above and beyond merely chanting them.

I've recited the Purusha Suktam many times (even earlier today), and certainly gained from the knowledge of the meaning of (at least some of) the Mantras.

In a nutshell: knowing the meaning of (a few of) the Veda Mantras may not be essential, but is surely beneficial! Yes, even to the Average Devadatta!

Regards,
Kartik