[Advaita-l] Question/Clarification on Chanting Vaidika mantras

Balasubramanian Ramakrishnan rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 08:08:02 EDT 2017

It's the udAtta which fixes the meaning. The meaning is determined from the
fact there is (usually) anudAtta-udAtta-svarita. The differences in svarita
pronunciation is irrelevant and just needs a common convention, which might
vary per veda, or even tradition. For example, the Nambudiri yajurvedins
have a distinct tremolo like effect on their svarita-s, and tremolo like
effects are taboo in Tamil yajruvedic traditions. There are different
traditions how the svarita changes from high to low, high to higher,, if
their a continuous drop from high to low, or precipitous, etc. It does not
matter since once you agree on a convention the samhitA pATha will split
into the same exact words.

Rama