[Advaita-l] ***UNCHECKED*** Re: shankara speaking on behalf of or speaking to ??

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 08:03:56 EST 2017

Namaste Sri Bhaskar Ji,

Reg  <<Can we say prArabdha karma phala is nothing but avidyA lesha or
these two are entirely different?? >>,

I think the two are different. Karma phala relates only to events leading
to enjoying the fruits of past actions ; only bhOktrutva. Does not relate
to actions ; kartrutva.  A specific example to illustrate what I mean is
covered below.

Reg  << As we know the result of the prArabdha karma phala is our /
jnAni's  current body and corresponding pravrutti of the indriya-s on which
even jnAni has no control though he has the absolute detachment with the
firm conviction of akatrutva / abhOktrutva jnana. >>,

I do not think so.  “pravrutti of the indriya-s “  relates to vAsanAs and
not to prArabdha karma phala.  A jnAni can still take to sAdhanAs to
control them which is what  vidvat sanyAsa is all about, and derive
benefits in the current body itself. This was discussed extensively
earlieron fairly recently in the Forum itself  while dealing with the work
Jivanmuktiviveka of Swami Vidyaranya.

Reg  << As per prArabdha karma,  a jnAni supposed to kill  his pUrva janma
shatru, >>,

As I said earlier. I don’t think “ killing a shatru “ is a “ karma phala
“.  Such a pravritti could be a vAsana. Coming face to face with or
encountering a pUrva janma shatru could be a karma phala. This is what I
meant earlier on in this post.

Reg  << And again, my doubt still unanswered here...shankara talking all
these about jnAni on behalf of jnAni-s and jnAni-s mental status after
jnana or is it for the ajnAni-s who cannot go beyond the body of the jnAni??
>>,

I think this is answered above. Sri Bhagavtpada is talking of the jnAni
only. It is not from the point of  view of ajnAni.

This is my understanding.

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>