[Advaita-l] What is Krishna's 'tattva'?

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 02:10:11 EST 2017

Yes, the effect is non different from the cause. However it does not mean
the cause is same as the effect.

Please read the full bhAShya of 2.1.14.

Especially: सर्वज्ञस्येश्वरस्यात्मभूते इवाविद्याकल्पिते
नामरूपेतत्त्वान्यत्वाभ्यामनिर्वचनीये
संसारप्रपञ्चबीजभूतेसर्वज्ञस्येश्वरस्य मायाशक्तिः प्रकृतिरिति
चश्रुतिस्मृत्योरभिलप्येते ; ताभ्यामन्यः सर्वज्ञ ईश्वरः,

Why does Shankara say that names and forms are sarvajnasya Ishvarasya
AtmabhUta (ie they are part of him), and later say sarvajna: Ishvara:
tAbhyAm anya: (ie he is different from them)?

*Thus, the effect is non different from the cause, but the cause is
different from the effect.*

Continuing,
 एवमविद्याकृतनामरूपोपाध्यनुरोधीश्वरो भवति,
व्योमेवघटकरकाद्युपाध्यनुरोधि ; स च
स्वात्मभूतानेवघटाकाशस्थानीयानविद्याप्रत्युपस्थापितनामरूपकृतकार्यकरणसङ्घातानुरोधिनो
जीवाख्यान्विज्ञानात्मनः प्रतीष्टेव्यवहारविषये ;
*तदेवमविद्यात्मकोपाधिपरिच्छेदापेक्षमेवेश्वरस्येश्वरत्वं
सर्वज्ञत्वंसर्वशक्तित्वं च, न परमार्थतो विद्यया
अपास्तसर्वोपाधिस्वरूपेआत्मनि ईशित्रीशितव्यसर्वज्ञत्वादिव्यवहार
उपपद्यते ;  *
He is saying that Ishvara's omniscience, etc are contingent upon the
avidyAtmaka upAdhi, and without such an upAdhi there is no rulership,
omniscience etc.

To summarise, the same bhAShya passage says
1) the world is non different from Brahman
2) names and forms, which are as though conjured by ignorance, are the
seeds of the world, and are part of Ishvara.
3) However Ishvara is different from them.
4) His omniscience depends on the upAdhi conjured up ignorance.
5) Free of upAdhi, there is neither ruler, nor ruled, nor omniscience etc.

The only way these multiple statements can simultaneously hold true is if
they are being said from two frames of reference. In vyavahAra, you have
names and forms from ignorance, out of which this world appears. Such a
world is non different from Brahman. However Ishvara, whose omniscience
stems from an upAdhi conjured up by ignorance, is different from them.

In paramArtha, there is no ignorance, thus no upAdhi, nor names and forms
and no world. Talk of non difference with Brahman is absurd here, because
there is only one entity, so there is neither difference nor non difference.

It is knowledge of such a upAdhi rahita Brahman that is moksha, thus there
is no point holding on to ananyatvam of kArya, look at the kArya kAraNa
atIta vastu.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan

On 22 Nov 2017 4:26 a.m., "Durga Prasad Janaswamy via Advaita-l" <