[Advaita-l] SrividyA and advaita vedAnta

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 22:48:24 EDT 2017

On Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 1:07 AM, Venkatraghavan S via Advaita-l <

> Namaste,
> Thank you Sriram mahodaya.
>
> Given that we are discussing the topic of SrividyA, could you (or anyone
> familiar with the matter) please elaborate a little bit on how SrividyA
> upAsana fits within advaita vedAnta?
> 1) Is it a sAdhana for chitta shuddhi, ultimately requiring / leading to
> guru prApti, shravaNa-manana-nidhidhyAsana, jnAna and moksha? i.e., does
> SrividyA hold that one would need to transition from SrividyA upAsana to
> jnAna sAdhana for moksha?
> 2) Or, does SrividyA shAstra hold that jnAna is not a requirement for
> mokshA and upAsana itself is sufficient? Is the nature of mokshA different
> in SrividyA and advaita?
> 3) Or, are these elements incorporated within the ambit of the upAsana
> itself - i.e. the word upAsana in this context includes both upAsana and
> jnAna sAdhana? If so, how?

Dear Venkat ji,

As far as I know, Srividyā is inalienably connected with Advaita. For one,
the Lalitasahasranama is admitted as an integral part of Srivdya sādhana.
If you look into that nāma, you find a number of names such as these,
suggesting Advaitic doctrine:

nirbhedā, bhedanāśinī, bhedavarjitā, brahmātmaikya svarūpṇī, sarva vedanta
samvedyā, tattvamartha svarūpiṇi, mithyājagadadhiṣṭhānā,
panchakośāntarasthitā, sarvāvasthāvivarjitā, turyā, etc. The Taittiriya,
Mandukya, etc. Upanishads can be seen to be summarized here. The SL has
been a part of Advaita Sannyasins, Acharyas, as exemplified by the Sringeri
and many other pontiffs performing the Srichakra and SL puja-s today. The
Kundalini is also part of Srivdyā and the ascent of the Kundalini shakti
from the mūlādhāra to the sahasrāra marks the culmination of the sadhana in
the advaita jnana of Shiva-Shakti aikya. The Shakti represents the jiva who
dwells in various chakras, the lowest being the body-identity and the final
chakra being the Sahasrara is the shakti, jivashakti, merging with the
Jnanasvarupa Shiva.

What I have said is only a gist of the matter; there is quite a lot to
expand on this which practitioners will be able to do justice to.

regards
subbu