[Advaita-l] Chanting Gayatri overseas

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 11:35:50 EDT 2017

Namaste
Kindly see Two great Swamijis opinion on this subject. One is Kanchi Maha
Swamiji and another is His Holiness Sachidananda Siva Abhinava Narasimha
Bharati Svamiji of Sringeri
https://mahaperiyavaa.blog/2014/05/05/pithru-karyam-in-foreign-land/
https://tamilandvedas.com/tag/hindus-crossing-the-sea/

His Holiness Sachidananda Siva Abhinava Narasimha Bharati Svaminah of
Sringeri Mutt (33rd Head of Sringeri Shankara Mutt) answered a devotee’s
question on the ban on orthodox Hindus travelling abroad:-

“ Some gentlemen pleaded with His Holiness for relaxation of the rules
prohibiting foreign travel and urged the great need and the advantages of
such travel in the interests of the welfare and advancement of our country.
His Holiness said:-

“Brahmanyam is the highest asset of a Brahmana and for preserving it he is
asked not to mix with all and sundry people even in this land whose contact
or company is likely to affect the Brahmanyam. How can a Brahmana then be
permitted to go to foreign lands and stay there with people of quite
different tastes, tendencies and habits? No kind of expiatory rite can
completely eradicate the effect of such contact. So the Sastras do not
permit free intercourse as before with one who has returned from foreign
lands though he may have performed some expiation ceremony. It is in no
sense cruel to have such segregation.
Though we equally love all the portions of our body, do we not allow some
portions to be operated upon and even removed if we find that they are
likely to affect the general health of the whole body? It may be a painful
process but is a necessary one. Similarly a person who has seriously
impaired or lost his Brahmanyam is sure to affect the purity of others and
nothing wrong in segregating him from the main society.

It is correct procedure if the Indian relatives of a foreign Brahmin cut
off all relations with him and his family. This procedure is Ghata Sphota.
In this they break a pot to show they are not his relatives because he has
given up Brahminhood and he has lost Brahminhood. He is expelled from
Brahmin caste and nobody should speak to him and his family.

On Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 8:15 PM, Dr. Yadu Moharir via Advaita-l <

-Venkatesh