[Advaita-l] Teachings on the Vijaya Yatra: Nirgunopasana

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 7 22:03:06 EDT 2017

 (Around the beginning of the month, a nugget of Wisdom from the Jagadguru may be posted
on the Chaturamnaya list : http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/cgi-bin/listinfo/chaturamnaya )

http://vijayayatra.sringeri.net/vijayayatra/karur-may-4-5-2017/

Karur: May 4-5, 2017

Jagadgurus in Karur

ARRIVAL

In the evening of May 4, 2017, Sri Mahasannidhanam and Sri Sannidhanam arrived to a rousing reception
by devotees at Karur in front of the Rajagopuram of Sri Pashupateeshwarar temple. Sri Sannidhanam
was led in a procession. At the public function organised on the occasion, Dhuli Pada Pooja was
performed by the Manager of the Karur branch of Sringeri Math, Sri Shankaranarayanan.

The public function organised thence began with Veda Ghosha and prayer song “Jaya deva Jaya deva
Jaya Satgurunatha”. Swagata Patrikas in Sanskrit and Tamil were read and submitted to the Jagadgurus.

ANUGRAHA BHASHANAMS

Sri Sannidhanam in His Anugraha Bhashanam said that the Lord though Nirguna – attributeless –
takes on forms and attributes to grace Sadhakas. Not all can do Nirgunopasana (worship of the Divine
sans attributes). Even in Sagunopasana – worship of the Divine with attributes, the Lord is full of
splendour that He seems indescribable – That is why a devout poet expressing his inability to sing
the Lord’s praises says – “I have neither classified the Vedas like Veda Vyasa, nor extolled the
Lord’s greatness like Maharshi Valmiki, nor am I Lord Brahma nor am I Maharshi Patanjali who wrote
the Mahabhashya (commentary on the Vyakarana Sutras), nor am I like Shukha Maharshi who extolled
the Lord in Srimad Bhagavatam. How am I, O Lord, to sing Your praises?” –

व्यास्थं नैकतयास्थितं श्रुतिगणं जन्मी न वल्मीकतः
नाभौ नाभवमच्युतस्य सुमहद्भाष्यं न चाभाषिषि ।
चित्रार्थां न बृहत्कथामचकथं सुत्राम्णि नासं गुरुः
देव त्वद्गुणवृन्दवर्णनमहं कर्तुं कथं शक्नुयाम् ॥

Extolling the Lord’s glories always fetches benefit. That is why Sri Adi Shankaracharya wrote a
number of devotional hymns or Stotrams. Sri Sannidhanam ended His Anugraha Bhashanam stating that
Sri Adi Shankaracharya is revered as Jagadguru as He has taught the path to welfare for people of
all kinds – be they scholars, or laymen.

Sri Mahasannidhanam in His Anugraha Bhashanam stated that neither education nor wealth nor power
makes a man great. It is one’s adherence to Dharma that qualifies his greatness.

VISITS

On May 5, the Jagadgurus first had Darshan of Goddess Rajarajeshwari at the Sringeri Shankara Math
in Karur. The Jagadgurus then gave Darshan to devotees. Pada Puja and Bhiksha Vandanam were performed.

In the evening, Sri Sannidhanam graced the headquarters of the Karur Vysya Bank and the Lakshmi Vilas
Bank at Karur and blessed the owners and employees. Sri Sannidhanam then graced the town of Mohanur
in Namakkal district. Sri Sannidhanam first had Darshan in the Perumal temple and blessed devotees
with an Anugraha Bhashanam. Sri Sannidhanam then returned to Karur and performed the
Sharada Chandramoulishwara Pooja.

SRI PASHUPATEESHWARAR TEMPLE VISIT

In the morning of May 6, Sri Mahasannidhanam and Sri Sannidhanam visited the Pashupateeshwarar temple
and had Darshan. After granting Darshan to devotees later in the morning, the Jagadgurus started for
Nerur in the afternoon.