[Advaita-l] Chanting Gayatri overseas

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 22:36:38 EDT 2017

On Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at 8:05 PM, कुवँर बिपिन चौहान <bipinchauhan7 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Namaste !
>
> Please desh, kaal, stithi ke pare hai paralukik yeh purntah galat hai ki
> gayatri jambudwip se bahar uccahran kari jaye.
>
> Tark sansarik mat hai anytha sab neti neti hai.
>
> Yeh spasht hai ki gayatri ji gupt hain
>
> https://www.facebook.com/shrimahakaleshwar/posts/843149805785998
>
> My guru batuk shastri (Brahmnal, Varanasi) always says it's next to
> impossible we go against shastr on anyway.
>
> Simple question: Is the Jagadguru of Sringeri wrong in blessing the SVBF
> initiative in Pennsylvania?
>
> Answer: I bipin chauhan on behalf of Eternal Law declared it totally wrong.

Which text are you referring to by the above name?

> For this my Guru ke Guru Swami Karpatri fight/ shastrath with madan mohan
> malviya that Widow marriage is not possible the fool vaishya kul empire
> goenka say as per shastr Swami Karpatri ji right but malviya is also not
> wrong due to desh kal stithi shloka of gita ji.
>
> I know Jagadguru Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswamiji but ignorance or will of
> Brahman all this happen because Bharat unable to follow
>
> https://hi.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%A4%AE%E0%A4%B9%E0%A4%BE%E0
> %A4%A8%E0%A5%81%E0%A4%B6%E0%A4%BE%E0%A4%B8%E0%A4%A8 from long ago.

In the Taittiriyopaniṣat 1.11.3 we have:

अथ यदि ते कर्मविचिकित्सा वा वृत्तविचिकित्सा वा स्यात् ॥ ३ ॥ ये तत्र
ब्राह्मणाः संमर्शिनः । युक्ता आयुक्ताः । अलूक्षा धर्मकामाः स्युः । यथा ते
तत्र वर्तेरन् । तथा तत्र वर्तेथाः ।
Shankara says:  अथ एवं वर्तमानस्य यदि कदाचित् ते तव श्रौते स्मार्ते वा
कर्मणि वृत्ते वा आचारलक्षणे विचिकित्सा संशयः स्यात् भवेत् , ये तत्र
तस्मिन्देशे काले वा ब्राह्मणाः तत्र कर्मादौ युक्ता इति व्यवहितेन सम्बन्धः
कर्तव्यः ; संमर्शिनः विचारक्षमाः, युक्ताः अभियुक्ताः, कर्मणि वृत्ते वा
आयुक्ताः अपरप्रयुक्ताः, अलूक्षाः अरूक्षाः अक्रूरमतयः, धर्मकामाः
अदृष्टार्थिनः अकामहता इत्येतत् ; स्युः भवेयुः, ते ब्राह्मणाः यथा येन
प्रकारेण तत्र तस्मिन्कर्मणि वृत्ते वा वर्तेरन् , तथा त्वमपि वर्तेथाः ।

If one gets a doubt as to how to conduct oneself on a particular issue, he
must do as those brāhmaṇa-s who live in that place or time who practice
dharma and are intent on adṛṣṭa, not given to desire, who are not given to
anger....do.

Sureshwaracharya too does not say anything different in the Taittiriya
Bhāṣya Vārtika for this.

Sāyaṇāchārya for this mantra says:  vṛtta, conduct, means
'kula-paramparāgataḥ laukikaḥ ācāraḥ. ' That pertaining to his own family,
lineage, etc. worldly conduct. There can be doubt as to this too, for one
sees conduct like 'marrying one's maternal daughter, eating meat, etc. A
person might get a doubt as to these issues too. In that case, he has to be
guided by the practices of noble persons who live in that place, at that
time, where this person lives.

So it is very clear that in the matter of conduct, dharma, there can't be
any 'eternal' law; it is essentially decided by desha and kāla.  That is
exactly what Shankara has said in the Brahma sutra bhashya. All that the
Veda or he himself has said elsewhere has to be understood in the light of
this statement of Shankara and the Taittiriyopanishat. Also, one can see
the other element that I had highlighted: it is the adherence to yama
(akrodha, etc.) that gains supremacy over niyama. The Taittiriya says:
those brahmanas who are not given to krodha, kāma, etc. as Shankara has
highlighted. Dharma differs from place to place, time to time.

The maṭhāmānya that you seem to refer to does not say anything about the
topic.  So, your own ignorance or whatever, you are trying to superimpose
on the Jagadguru.  Also is important to keep in mind what Shankara has said
in the BGB: even if one is proficient in all shāstra-s, if he has not
acquired knowledge according to the sampradāya, his views are to be
rejected as those of a fool. The view you have expressed does not bear the
kind of sampradāya that Shankara has adhered to as is evident in his
bhāṣya.

regards
subrahmanian.v