[Advaita-l] Chanting Gayatri overseas

Sujal Upadhyay sujal.u at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 13:02:51 EDT 2017

Namaste Sri Kalyan ji,

I talked to my friend who has visited Sringeri Matha several times. He
daily practises nitya karma and anusthana, that he is supposed to do as a
Brahmin.​ He did not have all the answers, but honestly gave some answers.
I will share the same.

   1. In Sringeri Matha, there is a belief that crossing ocean is not
   permitted.
   2. Sringeri Jagadguru himself never initiated any setting up of any
   matha or branches in any foreign land.
   3. It is the locals who wanted to practice sanAtana dharma and so kept
   requesting Sringeri Jagadguru many times.
   4. Who actually initiated this establishment is not known to him, but
   according to him matha is just for administrative purpose.
   5. Sringeri Jagaguru may be aware of all these happenings. He has been
   getting invitations for foreign travel but has declined everytime and he
   does not intend to travel to foreign land.
   6. Foreign travel should not be more than 3 days
   7. Those Brahmins who trael abroad and settle there or stay for long
   time may return. However they are not allowed to participate in any of the
   yajna-s i.e. havan and vedika yagja-s organised by matha and denfinitely
   not in the Sringeri matha itself. Only Bra
   ​h​
   mins from Bharat are allowed to perform Yajna
   8. Sringeri Jagadguru may bless anyone who approaches him but this does
   not mean that he endorses their actions. Many come with a hope to solve
   personal or material problems from Jagadguru. He may bless them but this
   does not mean he will actually take away all their sorrows or say tathastu
   and fulfill their wishes.
   9. ​He indicated that at times, Acharya remains detached and neutral to
   many activities and may bless the work as a formality​
   ​. Actually it's not blessings nor it's appreciation, but just a
   formality.

​As per my understanding, Sringeri Acharya does not give upadehsas to all,
but to a select few. He does not give diksha to all. He will not share his
opinion with anyone, but may give casual instruction just to satisfy the
questioner. Only to sincere seeker will he give upadesha which if followed
will change his life and one will surely progress on spiritual path. Like
Ramana Maharshi, he too at times remains aloof from matha activities, like
Sri Chandrashekara Bharathi Swami ji, the guru of Sri Abhinav Vidyatirhta
Swami ji.​

​Regarding degradation of Brahmins, my friend too is worried and he is also
sad that western Hindus actively defend attacks on dharma but not much is
done by traditionalists.

As far as I am concerned, I am not on any side, neverthless foreign travel
is happening. We are doing business with them. We import and export goods.
So their money comes to us. So with it comes their samskAra-s, the
vibrations. We are in a particular situation as described by other members.
So just curious about future and what steps traditional Brahmins are taking
to arrest this trend.

There are dharma and punishments that changes with time. For some sin,
these days it is not possible to donate 9 cows and one bullock as
repentance or punishment. However there are some things that should not be
changed. If certain rules are pivotal for spiritual progress to realise
Atman, they should not be compromised. Maybe ban on foreign travel is one
of them or may be not. I can't judge.

If I have stretched too much. Maybe I should give myself a break.

Hari OM

Sujal

On Sun, Oct 8, 2017 at 9:31 PM, D.V.N.Sarma డి.వి.ఎన్.శర్మ via Advaita-l <