[Advaita-l] Panchikaranam Prakriya as explained in Tatva Bodha

Sujal Upadhyay sujal.u at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 10:08:37 EDT 2017

Pranams,

Earlier, I had passed on the article to Sri Subbu ji, who after correction
advised me to post it on Advaita-L list.

He is kind enough to give some references from other grantha-s and śāstra-s
to further help further understand this concept and clarify the teachings
of our ācharya.

Please find his references below:

---------

Swami Vidyāraṇya in his Panchadaśī Cha.9, verse 64 says:

अनुष्ठानप्रकारोऽस्याः पञ्चीकरण ईरितः ।
ज्ञानसाधनमेतच्चेन्नेति केनात्र वर्णितम् ॥ ६४ ॥

He mentions the name of the work 'Panchīkaraṇa' in the locative case. In
the work 'Panchikaraṇam' published by the Advaita Ashrama, Swami
Hirnmayananda in his foreword refers to the above verse of the Panchadashi
to show that the work is an authentic one.

Moreover, Swami Vidyaranya in his Taittiriya Upaniṣad Dīpikā that is
presented as the 'Sāyaṇchārya bhāṣya' for the 7. 8 and 9th anuvāka-s of the
Taittiriya Aranyaka which constitute the Taittiriya Upanishad, says on
p.606 of the Anandashram edition: भगवद्भिरुक्ता -
अपञ्चीकृतपञ्चमहाभूतानि....’ this is in the Panchikaraṇam of
Shankaracharya.   His reference to the author of the above passage as
'Bhagavān', in honorific plural, is  identifiable without doubt with
Shankaracharya.

----

Thank you Sri Subbhu ji for correcting my mistakes in article and for the
references sited by Swami Vidyāraṇya

Hari OM
Sujal