[Advaita-l] Accounting for Brahman appearing as the world

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 14:16:06 EDT 2017

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 6:24 PM, H S Chandramouli <hschandramouli at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Namaste Sri Subrahmanian Ji,
>
> I  would not have written this but for the possibility of
>  misunderstanding of your post. Unfortunately it has happened even before
> my posting. Your post does not mention about the jagat being a vivarta in
> Brahman. I do hope it is not your understanding that jagat is not a vivarta
> in Brahman. If you agree, you may like to clarify your post.
>
> Please do not misunderstand. If you disagree with my post, it is fine by
> me.

Dear Sri Chandramouli ji,

I had implied that the jagat is a vivarta of Brahman by my words:

// It is not like a man becoming many by begetting children. This will
involve vikāra in the man and thus Brahman will be subject to vikāra,etc.
Since this is not the way Brahman becomes many,//

So, that which is not a vikāra of Brahman has to be vivarta alone. Actually
I wanted to explicitly say that but owing to some phone-call distraction I
sent the post without adding that. Nevertheless it is well known that the
nāma-rūpa upādhi is avidyakalpita and that which is avidyākalpita is not
real, both as cause and as effect:

BSB 2.1.33:

 न चेयं परमार्थविषया सृष्टिश्रुतिः ; अविद्याकल्पितनामरूपव्यवहारगोचरत्वात् ,
ब्रह्मात्मभावप्रतिपादनपरत्वाच्च — इत्येतदपि नैव विस्मर्तव्यम् ॥

Shankara says above: It is also that the creation-shruti passages are not
having the purport of teaching a real creation. It has for its content the
vyavahara having nāma rupa created by avidya. Also the creation-passages
have for their purport the teaching of brahmātmabhāva to the aspirant.

regards
subbu