[Advaita-l] vedAntins at the time of shankara

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 23:53:56 EDT 2017

Namaste

 There is strong reason for saying Bhartuhari is a strong Advaiti
only. But he argued for Shabda Advaita.

The great Visistadvaiti Yamunacharya has said Bhartruhari is a
Vyakhyanakara of Brahma Sutras in the Siddhi Traya.

Moreover the great Grammarian Bhattoji Dikshita has made a very
important comment in the Shabda Kaustubha.

1 Advaitaupanishade BrahmaNyapi Vyutpadyatamiti Abhiprayena Bhagavan
Bhartruharihi Vivartavadamapi Prasangat Vyudapadayat

One more writer Helaraja has written in Vakyapadiya Vyakhyana-

Padartha Carcavishaye Brahmadarshananayenaiva Sambandhadivicare Vinigamanat

Bhartruhari has accepted the pet theory of Advaitis Vivartavada in
Vakyapadiya.

Anadinidhanam Brahma Shabdatattvam Yadaksharam |
Vivarte Arthabhavena Prakriya Jagato Yataha ||  Vakya Padiya 1-1

He has accepted the Shabda Tattva is Brahman. The World is a Vivarta
of Brahman.

Sabda Dhatu Samiksha is without any doubt Bhartruhari's work. In that
there is a Karika. This Karika is referenced in the Nayana Prasidini
Vyakhyana -

Suddha Tattvam Prapanchasya Na Heturanivruttitaha |
Jnanajneyadirupasya Mayaiva Janani Tataha   ||

In this Karika the important Maya is the Mother cause of the World
with things which are Known and we have Knowledge. But the Suddha
Tattva is not the Cause.

We can see Bhatruhari is talking the language of Advaitis. In another
place in Vakya Padiya also he talking the same language.

Satyam Vastu Tadakarair Asatyairavadharyate |
Asatyopadhibhihi Sabdaihi Satyamevabhidhiyate || VP 1-20

In this he is using the Advaiti word Upadhi. He is saying Satya Vastu
is signified by Asatya Upadhis the Sabdas.

On Sat, Sep 16, 2017 at 10:19 PM, Kalyan via Advaita-l <

-Venkatesh