[Advaita-l] vedAntins at the time of shankara

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 07:33:22 EDT 2017

Namaste

We are forgetting Mandana Mishra Mata of Vedanta. Probably this was there
in Adi Sankara's time also. Later Vyakhyana Karas accepted many points of
Mandana when Sankara Bhashya was not clear. Example is Avidyaa Ashraya is
not clear from Sankara Bhashya but Vachaspati took Jeeva as Avidyaa
Ashraya. This is coming from Mandana Mishra. We have to say Thanks to
Mandana for making Sankara Bhashyas clear.

Probably Anirvachaniyatva of Avidyaa is also coming from Mandana. Then even
Vivarana has borrowed this Mandana point because Sankara Bhashya is not
very clearly saying that. Another point is Sankara Bhashya is not very
clearly saying Avidyaa and Maayaa are same. But Mandana said that and later
Vyakhyana Karas also followed him.

On Sun, Sep 17, 2017 at 3:19 PM, V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l <

-Venkatesh