[Advaita-l] shivaraatri dates this year

Anand Hudli anandhudli at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 2 11:28:36 EST 2018

Today we follow the 24 hours cycle. Was the ghaDiya of 60 minutes used even
by us or us it a recent introduction in to our system?
Also was the exact duration of the one minute (60 seconds ) unit common to
both our ancient almanacs and modern chronometry? That sounds like too much
to be a coincidence? Am I missing something here...

Raghav Kumarji,

The sUryasiddhAnta in the first chapter defines time units. The time taken
to pronounce 10 long syllables (dashagurvakSharoccAra) is called 1 prANa
(respiration). This is about 4 seconds. Six such prANas make a vinADI
(ShaDbhiH prANair vinADI syAt).
This is about 24 seconds. A vinADI is also called a vighaTI. 60 vinADIs
make a nADI or ghaTikA or ghaTI. So a ghaTikA would be 24 seconds * 60 = 24
minutes. 60 ghaTis make an ahorAtra, i.e. a 24 hour day. This is also
called a sidereal day (nAkShatra-ahorAtra).

The 60 seconds = 1 minute construct is obviously not ancient Indian, but I
would have to search the history of calendrical systems to see the
connection between the two systems of units.

Anand