[Advaita-l] Ghata Bhashya 1 - MUST SEE- superb videos on Sankara Bhashya

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 07:03:11 EST 2018

Namaste

There are some important points in the first video. Vedanta accepts Vivarta
Vaada only but using Parinaama Vaada as basis. The Acharya Sarvajnatma Muni
has said विवर्तवादस्य च पृष्ठभूमिः वेदान्तवादे परिणामवादः। The Parinama
Vada is the background for Vivarta Vaada in Vedanta. The Vivarta Vaada is
resting beautifully on Parinama Vada. A beginner will learn Parinama Vada
and then go to Vivarta Vaada in Vedanta. How?

When you say the Clay is the material cause for Pot this is Parinama Vada.
It is simple and clear. The Pot is made of Clay material. Lump of Clay has
become a Pot. Clay is Upadana for Upadeya Pot.

But when you say the Snake is Vivarta of Rope the Snake is Adhistheya and
Rope is Adhishthana. We do not use Upadana and Upadeya here in this Vaada.

The intelligent person will see there is not much difference between
Parinama Vada and Vivarta Vada. Why? Two reasons.

First reason. The Upadeya depends on Upadana. Without Upadana there will
not be Upadeya. Without Clay there cannot be Pot. Similarly Adhistheya in
Vivarta Vada depends on Adhisthana. Without Adhisthana there will not be
Adhistheya. Without Rope there will not be Snake. Snake is not seen out of
Nothing.

Second Reason. In Parinama Vada the Upadeya has only Vyavaharika Satta. Not
Paramarthika Satta. There it is almost like Adhistheya of Vivarta Vada.
Though the Adhistheya is Pratibhasika Satta the important point is it is
not Paramarthika Satta.

Example, if you are not interested in doing anything with the Pot you will
see the Pot as Clay only because you have no use for Pot like storing water
in it. You are not interested at all in doing some व्यवहार with Pot like
buying or selling it or giving it or storing water. Then what is the use of
pot? It is simply Clay only. If you forget Vyavahara there is no difference
between Vivarta and Parinama.

Therefore the Vedanta is teaching Vivarta Vada only through Parinama Vada
in Vakyas like Vacarambhana Vikara Namadheya Mruttiketyeva Satyam.

Many times on this forum we had many discussions saying World is Parinama
of Brahman and so on. But in one simple video talk Swamiji has cleared all
doubts superbly.

-Venkatesh