[Advaita-l] Vastuparicchinnatvam and Anyonyābhāva

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 05:53:00 EST 2018

Namaste Subbuji,
Just a short note on the reason why naiyyAyikas define anyonyAbhAva as
तादात्म्यसम्बन्धावच्छिन्नप्रतियोगिताकाभाव:.

Normally, we think that abhAva (absence) and pratiyogi (counterprositive)
are viruddha, mutually exclusive. For example, when a pot is present, we
cannot say that it is also absent there. However, this is not always true,
according to the naiyyAyika. According to him, even though the pot is
present on the ground, it is possible for the pot's absence with a
different sambandha to be present. To explain, the pot is in contact
(samyoga sambandha) with the ground. Similarly, the pot has an inherence
relationship (samavAya sambandha) with clay, its material cause. However,
the pot and the ground don't have samavAya sambandha. Thus even though the
pot is present on the ground, it is absent with samavAya sambandha, allowing
the logician to say भूतले समवायसंबन्धेन घटो नास्ति.

As a result,  navyanaiyyAyikas have refined this to say that viruddhatva
does not exist between abhAva and its pratiyogi, but between abhAva and the
pratiyogi's sambandha. The pratiyogi's sambandha which has viruddhatva to
the abhAva is termed pratiyogitA avacChedaka sambandha. That is, if such a
sambandha is present between the pratiyogi anuyogi pair, the pratiyogi
cannot have abhAva.

Coming to anyonyAbhAva /bheda - difference between two objects can only be
absent if the objects are the same, ie they have tAdAtmya. Therefore
tAdAtmya is the pratiyogitA avacChedaka sambandha for anyonyAbhAva. As a
consequence, anyonyAbhAva is defined as तादात्म्य अवच्छिन्न
प्रतियोगिताकाभाव: अन्योन्याभाव:. anyonyAbhAva is that which will be absent
if there is identity.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan

On Sat, Feb 17, 2018 at 5:39 PM, V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l <