[Advaita-l] About apashudradhikarana.

Balasubramanian Ramakrishnan rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 08:06:15 EST 2018

Dear Bhaskar,

This book is protected by copyright, so hopefully no one has put it on the
web. You can get second hand copies for as low as $7 on Amazon.com in the
US.

In regard to this, a few points:

1. In the book “The jagadguru replies”, page 100, to the question “Does the
Acharyal opine that a householder cannot get jnana or attain moksha?”, the
answer is “Not at all. They can attain moksha. However, their path is more
arduous”, etc. I can type out the whole answer if there is any interest.

2. When you read bhAShyas, you need to be careful and apply the mImAmsA
principle of Anarthakya. In many places, what is said may correspond to the
normal case or the easier path to attain moksha. After all, Shankara was
presenting his teaching as an immediate means to attain Brahman and not
just some theory. I believe Marcaurelle has applied this sound mImAmsA
principle very well in his book.

3. It is also quite easy to fool oneself thinking that they have mentally
renounced. So there is that aspect to it. On the other hand, most sannyAsis
these days are not pure parivrAjakas either, and very involved in politics
and such. So it’s not like they can’t fool themselves either. The hard
facts of reality.

Ramakrishnan