[Advaita-l] A query on Jnani's punya and papa distribution

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 10:18:33 EST 2018

Namaste Ramachandraji,

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 6:57 PM, Ramachandra Sastry via Advaita-l <

> 4) I hear some say , it is just an Arthavada to help the common man
> understand the greatness of a Jnani, since if somebody does seva for a
> Jnani the punya phala is very high and doing dwesha the paapa is also high.

Tattvabodha talks of the same. ये ज्ञानिनं निन्दन्ति द्विषन्ति दुःखप्रदानं
कुर्वन्ति तान्प्रति ज्ञानिकृतं सर्वमागामि क्रियमाणं यदवाच्यं कर्म पापात्मकं
तद्गच्छति ।​ I particularly think your option 4 is more appropriate, since
one's karma does not really go to another. However, one could say that new
puNya arises for one who praises or serves the jnAni or pApa for one who
censures.

Kind rgds,
--Praveen R. Bhat