[Chaturamnaya] The Vedas (2)

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 21 13:13:01 CST 2013

(Continued from previous post)

The three important texts which speak about the highest principles
of tattvajnana (metaphysics) are hailed as prasthanatrayi and are:

a) Srimad Bhagavad Gita,
b) Upanishads and
c) Brahma Sutras, depicted in the Uttara Mimansa.

The principles of dharma as embodied in our religion are all
centered around the Vedas.

Apasthambha Sutra describes Vedas as the Pramana: (authority)
(pramANam vEdAscha)

Manu Smriti hails them as:
(vEdOkhilO dharma moolam);

Bhagavan Sri Krishna says:
vEdaischa sarvairahamEvavEdyo:
(I am known through the Vedas)

The Vedas are Infinite:
anantA vai vEdAha;

They are the very breath of Iswara:
yasya nisvasitam vEdAha.

They are without beginning:
anaadi;

and of non-human origin:
apourushEya.

They teach the glories of all creations and the principles of dharma
and enshrine true knowledge and wisdom.That is why our
scriptures proclaim:

vEdO nityamadhIyatAm;
taduditam karma svanushtIyatAm
(practice the Vedas daily;
practice well their prescriptions)

It is our great fortune that we have inherited such a rich and
cherished dharmic tradition and lineage. It should be our foremost
duty and goal to preserve such a tradition. Our ancestors led a
peaceful and contented life following the path set by the Vedic
guidelines. That path withstood the tests of historic times and was
smooth to follow without obstacles. Let us and our progeny follow
that proven path and attain peace and harmony.

Ref: "The Vedas", Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, Bombay 1988.
Dr. S. Yegnasubramanian ( President, SVBF) is a scientist at Bell Labs., NJ. He
has been teaching vedic recitation and vedanta for about 10 years. He was the
General Chairman of the first International Ati Rudra Maha Yajna ’97, held in
Stroudsburg, PA, USA.

(Concluded)