[Chaturamnaya] Golden Words (1)

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 13 11:26:56 CDT 2013

Some quotations from a former Pontiff of Sringeri. One cannot but wonder
at just how far ahead of the times His vision was!

http://svbf.org/journal/vol1no1/golden.pdf

"Golden Words" of Jagadguru His Holiness Sri Sri Chandrasekhara Bharati (34th Pontiff of Sringeri)

Conversions from one religion to another is neither advisable nor
desirable. The religion in which a man is born is the best fitted for
his spiritual upliftment. The Lord knows which religion is best for
us and gives us birth in a country, climate, time and faith for which
we are best suited.

No matter how good an artist is, we cannot paint a picture on
vacant air, though he may possess the finest paints and brushes. He
requires a stable background, be it canvas or a wall.

Similarly a seeker should apply his God given gifts on the stable
background of his God chosen faith. So a Hindu should try to
become a better Hindu, a Muslim a better Muslim, a Buddhist a
better Buddhist and a Christian a better Christian.

Who are we to sit in judgement over other religious teachers and
religions? Waste not your precious life in judging others. Use it to
regulate your life and purify yourself.

There must be perfect equality - each man to his religion -
unmolested by anybody and every facility guaranteed to him to
practice his own religious pursuit.

Every facility must be given for a Hindu to live the life of a Hindu,
a Muslim to live the life of a Muslim, a Christian the life of a
Christian, and so on.

No one on earth, howsoever powerful, has any right to compel the
people to change or break their religious laws. No one has the right
to interfere in the religious matters of another.

Guru: The Guiding Torch

Do not be disheartened by the spiritual darkness over-running the
world. When the sun sets and the darkness of night envelops the
land, we do not stop our work saying that the sun has set. Do we
not light a lamp and get on with our normal activities with the aid
of that lamp? If we feel that there is an urgency, do we not walk
miles together during the darkest of nights guided by the flickering
light of a torch?

If you feel earnestly and keenly the urgency for escaping from the
cycle of birth and death, you will ignore the spiritual gloom
prevailing in the land and seek out a guiding torch which will dispel
the gloom for you. Such a guiding torch is the Guru, your spiritual
master, who is waiting to help you.