[Chaturamnaya] Sri Ramana Gita as a Dialogue - 4

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 14 11:53:50 CDT 2014

(Continued from previous post)

http://www.arunachala.org/newsletters/2009/sep-oct.pdf
http://www.arunachala.org/newsletters/2009/sep-oct

Chapter II

The Swami's Verse

On a certain day during the winter of 1915, Sri Ramana was sitting in Skandasramam. Before him
sat Jagadeesa Sastri, a young man well-versed in Sanskrit who had previously (and has since)
composed Sanskrit verses. On that day Jagadeesa Sastri wrote on a piece of paper, as part of the
first line of a stanza, the words 'Hridaya Kuharamadhye,' and his mind, in spite of effort
(or perhaps on account of it), could not proceed further and he did not complete it.
Then Maharshi asked, "What is it you are writing?" Sastri handed over his paper.

Maharshi said, "Go on. Complete the verse."

Sastri replied, "I am trying, but my mind refuses to work."

Maharshi then took up the verse, and then and there completed the verse as given below.
The verse was taken later to Kavyakantha Ganapati Sastri at Mandassa, who later incorporated
it into his Ramana Gita as Chapter II. In fact, this, strictly speaking, is the Ramana Gita,
as it was sung (or was a song composed) by Sri Ramana.

The Stanza runs thus:

hR^idaya kuharamadhye kevalaM brahmamaatraM
hyahamaham-iti saakShaad aatmaruupeNa bhaati .
hR^idivisha manasaa svaM chinvataa majjataa vaa
pavana chalanarodhaadaatmanishhTho Bhavatvam ..

It means:

Within the cavity of the heart, pure Brahman, as "I, I" shines with immediacy as the Self
(i.e. as the soul or inner core of your personality). Therefore either by seeking the Self
or diving in it or by means of pranayama (breath control) let thy mind enter the heart.
Take thy firm stand as Atman (i.e. be firm in Self-Realization).

Kavyakantha Ganapati Sastri on a later occasion requested the Maharshi to explain fully
the meaning of the term "Heart" and the facts stated about it, for the purpose of
Self-realization. Maharshi's reply is embodied in Chapter V.

(To be continued)