[Chaturamnaya] Jagadguru Speaks: Do Your Duty with Dedication

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 1 11:46:26 CST 2014

http://svbf.org/newsletters/year-2013/the-jagadguru-speaks-3/

Attaining wisdom should be man’s only objective. That is what seekers of Truth are striving for.

Some may doubt whether a fully realized jnani will perform karmas or not. Lord Krishna clarifies the point beautifully in the Bhagavad Gita:

 न मे पार्थास्ति कर्तव्यं त्रिषु लोकेषु किञ्चन |
 नानवाप्तमवा  प्तव्यं वर्त एव च कर्मणि ||

As far as Bhagavan is concerned, he need not do any karma, nor has He to achieve anything which he does not possess. He is eternally free. There is nothing for him to attain. Still He keeps doing karmas because His objective is to lead people on the right path.

That is why even jnanis continue to perform karmas. However, their karmas are not like those of others. Their actions are selfless and without the sense of doing, but are always beneficial to others.

Though Sri Sankara Bhagavadpada was the embodiment of wisdom, he composed numerous works, propagated dharma and bestowed knowledge on real seekers. We all must clearly remember this and follow the same path.

We bless all those pursuing Truth to realize this well and perform their duties with dedication to the Lord.