[Chaturamnaya] Enquiry and Sadhana - 2

Sankaran Kartik Jayanarayanan kartik.jayan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 14:40:26 EDT 2017

In case someone is unable to read the PDF file sent below,
here's the "Philosophy of Namdev" that Ramana Bhagavan referred to:

-------------------------------------

1. The  Name  permeates  the  entire  universe
densely.
Who can tell to what depths in the nether regions and
to  what  heights  in  the  heavens  It  extends?  The
ignorant fools undergo the eighty-four lacs of species
of  births,  not  knowing  the  essence  of  things.  The
Name is immortal. Forms are innumerable but Name
is all that.
2. The Name itself is form and form itself is Name.
There is no distinction between Name and form. God
became  manifest  and  assumed  Name  and  form.
Hence  the  Name  the  Vedas  have  established.
Beware  there  is  no  Mantram  beyond  the  Name.
Those who say otherwise are ignorant fools. Name is
Keshava  Himself.  This  is  known  only  to  the  loving
devotee of the Lord.
3. The all-pervading nature of the Name can only be
understood when one recognizes one's own 'I'. When
one's  own  name  is  not  recognized,  it  is
impossible  to  get  the  all-pervading  Name. When
one  knows  himself  then  he  finds  the  Name
everywhere.
4  None  can  realize  the  Name  by  the  practice  of
knowledge,  meditation  or  austerity. Surrender
yourself at first at the feet of the Guru and learn to
know who the 'I' in you is. After finding the source of
that  'I'  merge  your  individuality  in  that  Oneness  –
which  is  Self-existent  and  devoid  of  all  duality.  It  is
that  Name  that  permeates  the  three  Worlds.  The
Name is Para-Brahman itself where there is no action
arising out of Dwaita (duality),
Here it will be interesting to quote an extract from
the  teachings  of  Swami  Ramdas  Maharaj  bearing
on the above subject:-
"The easiest way to reach or realize Sri Ram is surely
to  repeat  His  most  powerful  Name.  Smaran  is  to
remember  what  we  have  forgotten  that  we  are  His
Swarup.  We  are  always  He,  but  our  ignorance  has
made  us  forget  our  real  nature.  Continuous  and
ceaseless  Smaran  of  Sri  Ram  is  to  remove  our
ignorance  and  realize  ultimately  that  we  are  all  He
and  He  alone.  There  is  none  but  He.  To  attain  this,
our minds must be  spotlessly pure.  Repetition of  His
great  Name  is  again  the  only  means  or  Sadhana.  A
pure  mind  is  the  first  preliminary  to  our  surrendering
to Sri Ram. Let us conceive a strong and intense love
for  Sri  Ram.  - the  more  intense  our  love  for  Him,
our  remembrance  becomes  automatically  more
and more continuous and unbroken, because it is
our nature to remember that which we love most."