[Advaita-l] Karma yoga vs. Jnaana yoga

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 7 18:33:56 CST 2008

I would like to point out here that a four-fold contrasting of karma, bhakti, rAja and jnAna yoga-s is Swami Vivekananda's contribution to contemporary discussions of vedAnta. The authors of the older Sanskrit texts do not talk of these four in the same manner. For example, if you take the gItA and its commentaries and sub-commentaries, you will read of dhyAna yoga, sAMkhya yoga etc., but will not find the term rAja yoga.

As a matter of fact, the only direct contrast is between karma yoga and jnAna yoga. The transition from karma yoga to jnAna yoga is aided by both bhakti yoga and what is nowadays called rAja yoga.

Regards,
Vidyasankar