Forwarded message from Marko Manninen

H.B.Dave hbd at DDIT.ERNET.IN
Sun Dec 31 14:27:52 CST 1995

2nd message from Marko Manninen :

> Namaste
>
> Thanks for your list. I hope these questions could be answered:
>
> What is the biggest problem between Advaitas and Vaishnavas?

I leave this question at present for other members of the list.

> Prabhupada
> likes to attack Advaitas very strongly, like with emotional force.
> Vaishnavas are doing a lot in a real world through Krishna movement for
> leading people to godhood. Are Advaitas going to show there is another way
> to interpret Vedas?

Yes, not another method but more correct method. To give an analogy --
Newtons Laws of motion are good enough under certain limited circumstances,
but you have to take into account relativistic mechanics in general. Not that
Newton is entirly wrong, he is limited. Problem starts when Newton claims
that only my Laws are final and correct.

> How Advaitas comments Caitanaya and the foretellings
> of him in veda literature?

Which one?

> When guru-parampara was written up and when
> Vyasa was living? Is it possible to get somewhere the sankara-lineages
> Bhagavad Gita translation?

Yes, of course shankarabhasya on Geeta !

> In which time the oldest BG has found, how old
> is the puplicly seen BG?

I do not know. (Does any one know, please?)

> How Advaitas translates BG 10:6?

I am attaching with this a text file. If you have questions, I shall be happy
to discuss.

> I have studied many ways (practically and holy scriptures) different
> religions and trying to find something real in them and asked what is the
> truth behind them. Something real is that human mind (lower manas/ego)
> seems to be the destroyer of reality. Destroy the destroyer is serious tip
> for seekers, but then how the individual soul can serve (bhakti) the
> Supreme Soul of Universe? If we somehow reach our goal (highest knowledge
> and peace, meaning not knowing only our lineage of religion and
> philosophy, but like Sankara, knowing every initiation of every system)
> why should we go alone to "nirvana"? Rather should we keep every human in
> our mind and like boddhisatva, only when every greature has reached its
> goal, he will be happy and lift his legs to the side of rest. Isn't that
> the true meaning of Bhakti? Not just Me but We, not just God but the
> childrens of God.

For an Advaitin, there is no difference between "me" and "we".
This will require some discussion. I suggest you try to follow the List for
some time and bring up these questions one by one.

Best wishes from
-- Himanshu