Questions on the history of Advaita

Giri gmadras at ENGR.UCDAVIS.EDU
Thu Aug 8 14:00:02 CDT 1996

On Thu, 8 Aug 1996, Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian wrote:

> The muktika upanishhad.h itself is not held as supreme, for eg by dvaitins.
 The
> paramopanishhad which proclaims bheda etc is not mentioned in it. Obviously
 the
> muktika was either written by a non-dvaitin or was written before the parama
> upanishhad.h was written (probably by Madhva).

        I would like to know whether the dvaitins consider muktika as
shruti or not. Since most dvaitins are very particular about
non-authorship of shruti, they would not agree with you in saying that
muktika or parama was written !
        The dvaitins have another problem if they consider muktika shruti
since it is Lord Rama saying to Hanuman that mandukya upanishhad is supreme.
Going against it would be like saying Rama is deluding Hanuman :-)
Therefore, the dvaitins should consider 27 verses of mandukya (instead of
12 or 29) supreme, if they consider muktika as shruti.

Can someone clarify ?

Giri