An Interesting article - any response?

Kim Poulsen poulsen at DK-ONLINE.DK
Thu Dec 5 18:57:38 CST 1996

>so I heeded his advice
>not to create a cat-among-the-pigeons
>situation on the Advaita list.

But resolved to do so now, a philosophical cyberworld-tour
perhaps? (without an umpire there may be little hope that
the cat be made to conform to the ancient rules - and become
a pigeon.)  Anyway dear Shrisha Rao, we must
see if we can fend for ourselves, even with the prospect
of facing dualistic mathematicians (or vice versa?), and all sorts
of impressive entities.

>Well, but there certainly is a basis for attributing a higher reality
>to the waking than to the dreaming.  For the theory of Advaita, the
>fact of Shruti, etc., exist only in the waking state!

Maybe it does manifest more effectively through the dream state
of some?) While the buddhist deals with the waking state because
they are practical people, the dvaitees seems to hold it in special
regard. There are two things which must be kept in mind, where
the dvaitee seems to miss the second point.

A) From the standpoint of the human entity the dream state is
pervaded by the waking state, its creations are dependant on it
and is finally brought to a stop by the apparent reality of the
waking state - the last thought-forms of the dream may even
be caused directly by interference from the waking state (like
an alarm-clock.)

B) From the standpoint of the ishvara the case is reversed,
it is the state of the logos, the maya prakriti, which form
the basis of our objective world, the nature of the 3 gunas.

   On the involutionary arc of the cycle the planes or states
are reversed compared to the evolutionary. The waking state
is merely the basis (neither must the three aspects be confused
with the unity behind them.)
  When Krishna takes the standpoint of the ishvara he distinctly
states that his prakriti is higher than that of the gross elements -
the objective.

  Such is the case viewed from both sides.