An Interesting article - any response?

Shrisha Rao shrao at NYX.NET
Thu Dec 5 21:31:40 CST 1996

Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 20:37:48 -0700
To: "Advaita (non-duality) with reverence" <ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU>
From: Shrisha Rao <shrao at NYX.NET>
Subject: Re: An Interesting article - any response?
Comments: To: ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU, dvaita-list at eskimo.com

[Apologies for the faux pas in posting just a short while ago. -- SR]

Anand Hudli wrote:

>           Shrisha Rao wrote:
>

> > >    There are serious logical flaws in *this* argument. First, it assumes
> > >    that the relationship between the "absolute" state and the waking
> > >    state is exactly like the relationship between the waking state
> > >    and the dream state. How do we know this? In other words,
> > >
> > >     variety in dream state  implies   variety in waking state
> > >
> > >      does not necessarily imply
> > >

> > >     variety in waking state  implies variety in absolute state
> >
> > See, the thing is, he's talking of *causation*, not *implication*,
> > viz., that
> >
> >      variety in the waking state causes variety in the dream state,
> >
> >      and that
> >
> >      non-variety in the absolute state cannot cause variety in the
> >      waking state (which has to be caused by something).
> >

>     True, causality and implication are different. Causality is used
>    more in proving a hypothesis (scientifically) whereas implication
>    is used in logic. Since I believe we are discussing the issue at
>    hand at a logical level, not a scientific level, I saw it fit to use
>    the logical implication. Certainly, we are not talking (nor are we
>    qualified)
>    to talk about what scientifically causes dreams, etc.

I am not aware that there is any such separation between science and
logic; to posit such would automatically imply that science is not
logical, and that logic is not scientific.  I do not accept either to
be the case.  And also, why are we automatically unqualified to talk
about what causes dreams, etc.?  Studying the same has been the effort
of Vedantins as well as modern scientists, and both have tried to
present their conclusions in a manner that even people of limited
training can appreciate.  And in fact, even psychologists are not
necessarily in any better shape than keen amateurs, in appreciating
the causes of dreams, &c., because they are not wizards or geniuses.

But anyway, all of this is a digression.  Let's go on --

>    Moreover if you talk of causality, an important question remains
>    unanswered -- what causes the absence of variety in deep sleep (
>    sushhupti)? Deep sleep is also a state. According to you, if
>    the absence of variety in deep sleep is caused by the variety
>    in the waking state, then we will have the following relations
>
>    variety in waking state causes variety in dream state
>    variety in waking state causes nonvariety in deep sleep

Mind you, it is not accepted by me that variety in one state is caused
by that in another, and such, at all.  So where's the question?  Also,
the different states waking, dreaming, sleep represent different
states of cognition, not different states of reality as such.  It may
be that while you are fast asleep, someone else is wide awake and
perceives things you temporarily do not.  And vice versa.  As such,
variety is always there, but is sometimes perceived and sometimes
not.  There is no question of it being caused by something else, etc.,
and variety exists even when one is in deep sleep, only one is not
aware of it.

>    If this be the case, is it so inconceivable to add one more:
>
>    nonvariety in absolute state causes variety in waking state

As I said, causation of variety is part of your hypothesis, not mine.
When I deny any cause for variety, where's the validity to the above?

>   On the other hand, if you say the nonvariety of deep sleep is not
>   caused by the variety of the waking state, then what is it caused by?

Two things: first, "nonvariety of deep sleep" is false -- variety is a
fact, in deep sleep and in every other state.  If variety were ever to
cease, then it should cease for all, not locally for some particular
sleeper(s), and secondly, it should never come back, while it does
always do so.  If you would assert that knowing something is the same
as causing it, et cetera, that would be a vignyaanavaadi position, and
one might well ask if the Brahman, or Self, or whatever, is a
temporary illusion caused by knowledge of the same, rather than a
permanent reality.  As such, the fact that variety is discontinuously
known is not evidence that it is discontinuous in its presence.

>   If you say the cause has nothing to do with the waking state, then
>   you have admitted that a causal relation between variety/nonvariety
>   in one state and another might not exist at all. So you can't complain
>   if the advaitin says that there is nonvariety in the absolute state
>   even though there is variety in the waking state.

As I said above, the very idea that there is a cause, is part of your
idea and not mine.

>   If, however, you say that the nonvariety in the deep sleep is caused
>   by something that is common between the waking state and deep sleep,
>   then you are getting closer to advaita. What is common between the
>   waking and deep sleep states? It is pure consciousness. Is it not?
>   This consciousness is of the nature "I exist."

Not just _that_ consciousness, but all else seen in the waking is
common.  The fact that I cannot see the other side of the moon, the
one that's always pointed away from the Earth, does not mean that said
other side does not at all exist.  It is possible to infer its
existence from the part that I can see.  So also, I can infer the
continuous existence of the wakefully experienced over my sleeping
periods, even though I then have no perception of the same while
asleep, because there is no "bAdhaka" (obstacle) for this inference
showing its invalidity.  And in fact, this inference is commonly
made.  How else would I know that I am the same person with the same
name, that this is the same terminal I used before, etc., although
there has been a sleep period in between?  If there were discontinuity
in the reality of the wakefully experienced, I would not have a
continuous identity, my education, etc., would not be possible, and so
on.  Thus, since there is a continuity of identity over the deep sleep
state, it has to be said that all that is seen in waking is also
common to the sleeping, although it is not perceived then.

Or look at it in another way: on what basis do you say that there is
*anything* at all, even the "pure consciousness" of the nature of "I
exist" in common to waking and sleep?  How can one say that there is
any consciousness at all in sleep?  Why not say there is a nihil state
where one does not exist at all?  The answer can only be that to say
so is opposed to experience, specifically, to experience upon
awakening, since one remembers having slept soundly and having enjoyed
the experience.  But, given the fact that the "I" who enjoyed the
sleep and the "I" who awoke can only be identified as the same by
wakeful experience, there is no way on Earth to dilute the strength of
reality of that experience and still assert the identity.  If the
waking is illusory, et cetera, then the memory, "I slept well," which
is part of the waking, would also be illusory, as the Buddhists would
assert, and there is nothing at all in common between the waker and
the sleeper.

>   In fact, this consciousness is *the* only common thing between the
>   three states commonly known to people, waking, dream, and deep sleep.
>
>   Now, is there variety or nonvariety in this consciousness? This is
>   question that dvaitins will have to ponder over.

I've attended to that above.  Going on --

> > Causation and implication are very different beasts, I'm sure you'll
> > agree.
>
>    The difference from a logician's standpoint is not that great.

Again, there is no separation between logic and science such as you
posit.

>    For example, you can say flu causes fever. Absence of flu does not
>    necessarily mean there is no fever, (because fever could be caused by
>    other factors). You could also say, flu implies fever. And you would
>    also be logically correct in saying absence of flu does not imply
>    lack of fever. If there is no fever, whatever that state is, is not caused
>    by flu. Logically, no fever implies no flu.
>
>    A causes B does not necessarily mean not A causes not B.
>    A implies B does not necessarily mean not A implies not B.
>
>    However,
>
>    A causes B means not B implies not A.
>    A implies B means not B implies not A.
>
>    Example, if there is no fever, there is no flu.

I fail to see the point of the above.

> > While one can have an implication relationship between any two of the
> > three variables (length of pole, length of shadow, angle of sun) and
> > the third, the causal relationship is not similarly malleable.  Thus,
> > any attempt to reason about causal relationships in terms of
> > implicational relationships is fallacious.  It is for this reason that
>
>     I think it is not so fallacious as you think. And I am in good
>    company. In writing expert systems, for example, it is routine
>    to represent causal relationships as logical implications.

So much for expert systems.  That may only be because expert systems,
as indeed any Turing machine programs, can only model implication, not
causality.  That hardly means that the idea of modeling causality by
implication is worthwhile.  It is a fact that even today, terrestrial
astronomy uses the geocentric model that went out as a description of
cosmic truth some four centuries ago, but this is because from the
standpoint of a terrestrial observer, that model is the easiest to
use.  It does not actually mean that geocentrism rather than
heliocentrism is correct in a larger sense.

> > Your criticism is thus based on a false presumption that causality is
> > the same as implication, and is thus subject to improvement.  If you
> > can come up with a different/better one, I'd love to see it.
>
>   Your criticism that my criticism is based on a false presumption is
>   unfounded.

I think I've clarified: in particular, please note that the notion
that variety in any state needs a cause, is solely your own, and any
criticism resting upon the same, whether from a causal or an
implicational perspective, can only be a criticism of your own view.

> > But of course, there is no need to do that.  For the logic can be
> > dismissed in and of itself.  For there is no acceptance by the
> > Tattvavaada school that duality needs a cause.  It simply *is*.  It
> > has no more a cause than Brahman does.  Only those things that arise,
> > are created, etc., need causes, while duality is accepted to have
> > existed for all time in the past.  As such, speculation about its
> > causes is mere moonshine.
>
>   Then duality is taken as an axiom. Incorrectly perhaps. because
>   the shruti speaks of nonduality, ekameva advitiiyaM etc. So duality
>   cannot be taken as a fundamental axiom.

Fine, so don't take it as one, then.  But the point remains, that
given that there is complete lack of agreement on this point, viz.,
that there is a cause for duality, your criticism based on that notion
is not part of a well-founded common basis.  That is the point here.

> > And in fact, since it is your assertion (I think?) that the duality of
> > the waking state is not caused by the duality of the absolute state,
> > for the excellent reason of the latter being absent, what is its cause
> > then?  Since it arises and subsides, it needs must have a cause.  If
> > it were spontaneous, without a cause, then it would be like Brahman,
> > and would not subside at all, and you'd be left with eternal duality.
> > Thus, given that duality in the waking is a fact, whether one likes it
> > or not, a cause must be given for it, else it would have to be that
> > the duality is eternal, a conclusion you do not accept.
> >

>    I can explain more. But let me mince words and say that the cause
>   of duality and everything else is Brahman.  I only said the duality
>   is not caused by duality in Brahman. But that does not prevent me from
>   saying Brahman itself, nonduality is the cause of duality.

In which case, duality must be eternal as well?  Since the cause is
eternal, so must the effect be.  In order to explain why duality
does/would cease, one would have to posit another agency or upAdhi
than Brahman, the cause of it.  To say that Brahman causes duality but
duality automatically ceases without an adjunct while Brahman does
not, is opposed to the very notion of causation.  And if you could say
that, then one might as well say that Brahman itself will also
automatically cease although there is no cause for it to do so.

> > Therefore, since you yourself have shown that the postulation that
> > duality at a certain state is caused by that in a higher state leads
> > to infinite regress, it would follow that the duality of the waking
> > state is not caused by something else, but is in and of itself an
> > ultimate, unsubsiding truth.
>
>   this is where shruti will say " neha naanaa .asti kiJNchana"
>   there is no variety here whatsoever. All logic ceases.

Well, no; logic doesn't cease, but just that it stops serving your
purpose.  If there is no variety here, then there is no Shruti either,
and nothing to take note of.  And it has been accepted by you that
Brahman causes duality.  Said duality, in fact, is part of one's
native experience, something which is a source for Shruti as well.

> > Try the Rg Veda, X.71-6:
> >
> >    yastityAja sachividaM sakhAyaM na tasya vAchyapi bhAgo.asti  |
> >    yadIM shR^iNotyalakaM na hi praveda sukR^itasya panthAm.h  ||
> >
> >    One who gives up his True Companion, there is no truth even in his
> >    speech; whatever he hears, he hears amiss; he cannot be said to be on
> >    the path of virtuous action.
> >
> > It is significant that the same word `sakha' used elsewhere in the Rg Veda
> > in the context of `dvA suparNA', is used here as well.  Now, if the "sakha"
> > were an incomplete truth, an illusion, etc., why would the Veda say what
> > it does?  Beats me...
> >

>    Good. A step in the right direction. "sakhaa" is not an illusion. It is
>   God. It is Brahman. It is you. tat tvam asi. Did I miss an "a" somehere?
>   :-)

Not that I noticed.  But the fact is, a "companion" being not an
illusion means that _companionship_ is not an illusion either.  If the
"companion" is one's own self, then it would have to be.  That is
precisely my point.  Thus, the "Brahman" is not the same as oneself,
and to regard it as one is strictured by Shruti strongly as you can
see.

Regards,

Shrisha Rao