Introduction

Harry Fleenor hfleenor at BEACHNET.GEN.CA.US
Wed Jul 10 23:41:47 CDT 1996

OM
Introduction to Harry Fleenor (Spiritual influences)
---------------------
Briefly,
- Baptized Catholic.
-1st grade catechism God loves me and He created me to share His
happiness on earth and in heaven.
- Daily Mass and rosary age 8 to age 24 (1951 to 1967)
- Automatically excommunicated for using birth control. age 24
- Richard Hittleman yoga age 20 to ---
- Alan Watts, Aldous Huxley   early '70's.
- Ramana Maharshi, Shankara - Advaita Vedanta late '70's.to ---
_ Constant practice of *Self Enquiry* late 70's to ----
- Renee Taylor Yoga  Early '80's.
- Zen, and  Vipassana, '80's
- Tai Chi  early 90's.
-------------------------
Expanded, (2 pages)

  - Daily Mass and rosary age 8 to age 24

I was a devout Catholic, I wasn't a *Sunday Catholic* I went to daily
Mass from the first grade until I was 24 yrs. old.
Attending Mass *during the week* was a great
joy in my life at that time. The few people who attended - wanted
to be there- unlike Sunday Catholics who clearly couldn't wait to
leave. They were a noisy restless bunch. However after marrying
and having 3 kids I was automatically excommunicated for using birth
control.

  - Ramana Maharshi, Shankara - Advaita Vedanta late '70's.to ---

Favorite book ; The Collected Works of Ramana Marharshi edited
by Arthur Osborne. I obtained a copy in the late 1970's and it began
falling apart as I indulged in it again and again (demonstrating
impermanence), so I sewed its binding together with dental floss
(attachment!).
Then there was The Mandukyopanosad with Gaudapada's Karika and
Sankara's Commentary. It too has been given repairs over the years.

I read these and related books and did the *Self Enquiry* religiously.
Although at that time I saw myself as anti-religious.
Reading these and meditating each evening for hours, fighting sleep and
disturbances (eg., T.V, in the next room) I experienced insight after
insight. This was Self Enquiry according to Ramana. I was stoked!
But talking about my *new view of Reality* with family and friends
had them laughing at and worrying about me. So when I read Gaudapada's
advice to "Behave in the world like an insensible object", I figured it
out This stuff is scary to face for many people, so I should "act
normal", (blend in!).

 - Zen, and  Vipassana, '80's- Tai Chi  early 90's.

I have tried various practices (being a religious glutton) and have
concluded that none contradict Advaita Vedanta and the Truth I have
experienced through Self Enquiry, and that this method as per Ramana
Maharshi suits me most perfectly.

I now do Yoga exercises each morning and some Feldenkrais movements.
I also do some walking to keep the this phenomenal appearance healthy
Also I do a morning and evening sitting , a time of focus on Self Enquiry.
Self Enquiry pervades throughout the day more and more perceiving
the illusory and unitary nature of the world and drinking the Great
Quiet Bliss.
I am very fortunate to have found this list and am very grateful to
everyone on it for making it possible and giving me an opportunity
ton 'hang out' with Advaitists. Thanks to egodust for giving me the
address of this list. It's not his fault though - I asked him! :) However
I am *practice* oriented and will not partake in long intellectual
discussions about abstruse subjects The great Jewel can only be
known by practice.

The word "I" was used above as a social convention.

Harry Fleenor  hfleenor at beachnet.gen.ca.us

We are all *Knowing*, *Being* and *Joyously Reveling*
in Our Own *True Nature!*
OM