" Sankara's formula "

Ian Goddard igoddard at EROLS.COM
Thu Jul 18 19:57:41 CDT 1996

  At 05:35 PM 7/18/96 GMT, egodust wrote:

  > Sankara's advaitic formula [which, in boolean code, is: A = (A + ~A)]
  > resolves it definitively.

IAN: Can you find a statement in which Sankara most clearly outlines the
A = (A + ~A) formula, or the closest approximation thereof ?  While
it is implicit in his teachings, I've not seen him formalize it
in some fashion that could be defined as "Sankara's formula."

The closest I've come to finding a perfect match is a stanza
in the Buddhist Vajracchedika Sutra. which states:

             A is non-A, therefore it is called A.

An interesting essay on this is found at  http://www1.sony.co.jp/KUROKAWA
go to "Identity of Opposites." What is significant about this stanza is
that it observes that the specific identity of a specific thing, A, is
a result, or derivative, of the unitary identity of A and non-A. In
short, the unity of opposites does not deny their appearance, but
rather, their appearance confirms their unity. In this way the
appearance of duality is the confirmation of nonduality.

Law of Identity: A is A, relative to not-A. A = (A + ~A)

Law of Nonidentity: If there is 100% A, there is 0% A. A = ~A

absolute reality: http://www.erols.com/igoddard/reality.html