" Sankara's formula "

Ian Goddard igoddard at EROLS.COM
Thu Jul 18 23:57:38 CDT 1996

At 01:50 AM 7/19/96 GMT, egodust wrote:

 > Sankara's advaitic formula:
 >
 > 1) Brahman is the only reality.
 > 2) The world* is maya.
 > 3) Brahman is the world*.

IAN: Right. Some time back I quoted Sri Ramana stating just these
axioms as an over view of Sankara's message. I was not sure if
in fact Sankara had expressed it in so many words himself.

 >> The closest I've come to finding a perfect match is a stanza
 >> in the Buddhist Vajracchedika Sutra. which states:
 >>
 >>              A is non-A, therefore it is called A.
 >
 > The popular zen koan is very similar, although it also alludes to
 > transcending logic, which is the essential thrust of the koan method
 > and rinzai zen. To wit:
 >
 >              A is A, therefore A is not A.

IAN: Thanks for reminding me of the koan.

Law of Identity: A is A, relative to not-A. A = (A + ~A)

Law of Nonidentity: If there is 100% A, there is 0% A. A = ~A

absolute reality: http://www.erols.com/igoddard/reality.html