introduction

Sankar Jayanarayanan kartik at ENG.AUBURN.EDU
Wed Jun 19 16:35:17 CDT 1996

Om namo nArAyaNAya.

My name is Jayanarayanan "officially", and my parents call me "Kartik". Before
coming to the USA, I had spent practically all of my life in Madras. I completed
my bachelors in IIT Madras in '95 and am presently doing my masters in
Electrical engg. at Auburn University, and may probably continue here for a PhD.

My parents are quite religious, i.e, visiting temples, performing pUjA during
the important festivals, reciting shlokas regularly, etc. I learnt some parts of
the Yajur Veda (the chants,mainly) for about 3-4 years under my Guruji, who is
a great scholar of advaita. I'm indebted to my father and my Guruji for
patiently introducing me to vedaanta.

I have visited the Sringeri MaTh a few times, though unaware of the
philosophical system of advaita then. My grandfather once gave a few lectures
on the Bhagavad GItA in the Sringeri MaTh which was attended by
His Holiness Chandrashekhara BhaaratI. His Holiness was so moved by the lectures
that he called my grandfather "GItAlankAra" (He who adorns the GitA) and the
name stuck. He was later initiated as a disciple of His Holiness. Our family has
thus "felt" the tension between the Sringeri and Kanchi MaThs, since my
grandfather was affiliated to the Sringeri MaTh and not to Kanchi. My father,
uncle and aunt visit the Sringeri maTh regularly.

Back in India, there was a Vivekananda study circle which held discussions
on the philosophy and experiences of Sri Ramakrishna and Vivekananda. Reading
the Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna made me more inclined towards bhakti than
Kevalaadvaita.

-Kartik