jnani's prarabda!

egodust egodust at DIGITAL.NET
Fri Jun 28 12:38:47 CDT 1996

Sadananda wrote:
> >         Ok, it is my feeling (and I may be very much wrong) is that the
> > Brahmajnana is *everyone's* natural state. Should the death of
> > the body be dependent on jnana ? I am curious to know what the advaita
> > position on this issue is.
> >

> Here is my two cents on the topic:
>
> To understand this, the meaning of Jnana and self realization should be clear.
> Self realization involves realization that I am not the upadies but the all
> pervading consciousness.   When that realization takes place., obviously there
> is no more misconceptions that I am only these particular upaadies.  There is
> no more an individual, jeeva left, even for any identification that it is
> "he" as a Jnani and that he has come down to teach (after or before 21 days!)
> etc.  Even to say that there is some prarabdha that has to be exhausted also
> is meaningless since there is no one to exhaust it.  It is like letter posted
> to a deceased, since the jeeve accountable to the karma is no more there and
> has transcended the very time concept within which the action and result or
> cause and effect reside.  To say that Jnani has some Praarabda to exhaust is
> meaningless and contrary to self realization concept.  Therefore to whom does
> the karma belong?

Concur.  Except the refutation that there's no prarabdha to exhaust.  Perhaps
you're alluding to the idea that the jivanmukta has consciously transcended
all karma, including prarabdha?--which I agree with wholeheartedly--, however,
it's my understanding that the prarabdha still relates to the mortal coil and
its activities within the world-appearance.  As the popular metaphor suggests:
"When the fan is switched off, the blade will spin for some time."

It's also more accurate to say--as you suggest--that Isvara efficiently
utilizes and directs the already-developed upadhis of the jnani where and
how He sees fit, and not the Parabrahmam [which has nothing to do with the
relative world-projection].

Namaste.