Upadesha panchaka of Shankara (Re: Advaita 1001)

Anand Hudli ahudli at APPN.CI.IN.AMERITECH.COM
Fri Nov 8 10:55:43 CST 1996

   Consider what Shankara says in the upadesha panchaka

   vedo nityamadhiiyataaM taduditaM karma svanushhThiiyataaM
   teneshasya vidhiiyataamapachitiH kaamye matistyajyataaM  |
   paapaughaH paridhuuyataaM bhavasukhe doshho .anusandhiiyataa-
   maatmechchhaa vyavasiiyataaM nijagR^ihaattuurNaM vinirgamyataaM ||

   Study the Vedas constantly; perform the karma's (rituals, at least
   the nitya karma's) mentioned in the (vedas) well; by the performance
   of those karma's, worship the Lord; abandon attachment to desire-driven
   action; wash away the accumulated sins; reflect on the defects of
   happiness derived from samsaaric existence; be firm in desiring the
   (realization of) the Self; quickly leave your house (ie. take to
   sannyaasa).

   Note that Shankara does not condemn the Vedic karmas at all. Many
  people misinterpret his teachings as being critical of the karmas.
  What Shankara objects to (quite obviously) is treating the karmas as
  an end in themselves. In his Gita Bhaashhya, he makes it abundantly
  clear that the karmas, when done without attachments to the fruits
  of those karmas, will purify the mind and will lead to Self-realization.
  Similarly, Shankara finds a place for worship.

  Near the end of the stanza, Shankara asks us to reflect on the defects
  of happiness derived from the external world. Whatever material happiness
  is gained is after great effort, and even after having achieved it, it
 is only fleeting. It ends in sorrow. Reflecting on this again and again,
  the mind is to be turned towards the Self. When one has a firm conviction
  that he/she desires the Self and nothing else, one should renounce
  the world.

   A notable difference between classical advaita and some of the more
  recent "neo-advaitic" systems is the emphasis on Vedas, especially
  the karma's and  Vedanta. According to classical or (Shankara's)
  advaita, Brahman realization is possible only through the upanishads.
  The other systems do not take this stand or if they do, it is not clear.

  I know very little about Ramana Maharshi to comment on his flavor of
  advaita, but I do respect him as  a foremost advaitin of this
  century. Perhaps I will have the fortune to study his teachings sometime
  in the future.

  Anand