Advaita 1001

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Thu Nov 14 07:03:00 CST 1996

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:

> [Some material deleted for brevity]
>
> Karma cannot be wished away.  In order to stop suffering from the effects
> of karma one must stop doing it.  One who knows the self feels a
> natural distaste for karma and gives it up.  Those that don't either
> haven't completely grasped the truth or they are working out the
> residue of karma from previous lives.  A householder can talk about
> Vedanta.  Indeed many people have from King Janaka and Maharshi
> Yagnavalkya to Mandana Mishra and Vachaspati Mishra and Appaya Dikshita
> or for that matter any of the people on this list.  But without tyaga
> there is no possibility of Moksha.
                             ^^^^^^
Are we mistaking something here ?
I do not think there is any moksha concept in Advaita.  Either
you are a jnani or covered by avidya.
Am I wrong ? I would be grateful for clarification.

> --
> Jaldhar H. Vyas [jaldhar at braincells.com]  I will choose.-_|\ free will
> Consolidated Braincells Inc.                          /     \
> http://www.braincells.com/jaldhar/   -)==Perth=Amboy=>*.--._/  o-
> "Witty quote" - Dead Guy                                   v      McQ!

Regards
Gummuluru Murthy
Adau ante ca yan nAsti vartamAnepi tat tathA !
                                GaudapAda in Mandukya kArika
What did not exist at the beginning and what is not going to exist at the
 end is as good as non-existent even in the present.