FW: JIVA-MAN

Ms. Aikya Param aikya at IX.NETCOM.COM
Tue Nov 19 12:17:06 CST 1996

----------
From:  Ms. Aikya Param[SMTP:aikya at ix.netcom.com]
Sent:  Tuesday, November 19, 1996 9:01 AM
To:  'sadananda'
Subject:  RE: JIVA-MAN

Namaste mitraaNi,

Sadaananda has written a nice essay.  Thank you.

In one place something jumped up at me. If I am wrong I'm
sure someone will chime in. The quote from
Kaivalya with which we so often greet the swamis says

----------

Na karmana na prajayaa dhanena
tyaage naiki amrutatva maanasuH|
 ^tyaagenaaike^   ^amR^itatvam.h aanashuH

broken down second line
   tyaagena eke amR^itatvam.h aanashuH

##aanashuH## is third plural aorist form of
##nash## 1 P , to reach, attain or find.

In the first line ##prajayaa## means "by progeny".
Perhaps if one has a large family and is well
loved that is also popularity.  That's a nice
thought but maybe here it refers to  having children,
beloved by them or not.

So the verse meaning is

"Not by karma (action) nor by
progeny, nor by wealth, but only by