Grandfathers and sannyaasa

egodust egodust at DIGITAL.NET
Wed Nov 20 23:23:33 CST 1996

Joshi wrote:
> (I had problem in sending this, trying a resend..)
>

> > On Wed, 20 Nov 1996, Charles A. Hillig wrote:
> >
> > > Isn't it possible to be 100% involved and  fully participatory in his
> > > family's life,
> > >              and yet to remain 100% detached from the dramas that unfold
> in
> >  it?
> > >

> > Yes, but that is not the point of the story. The key thing to be noted is
> > the grandfather's answer, "I am never going to leave you." This indicates
> > attachment on the grandfather's part. So long as there is no detachment
> > from all ties, including near family, there is no point in taking to the
> > sannyasa-asrama as a matter of ritual.
> >
> > Vidyasankar
> >

> Namaste Vidya,
>
> I would say the grandfather left the house with such an intense renunciation
> that in between his stepping out of the door and hearing the child's cry,
> he bacame Wise ! He Realized !
> And now having realized, he just comes back, and with full knowledge, says to
>  the child:
> 'O my dear, Don't cry,  I am never going to leave you'.
> And that is what Chuck calls it as 100% renunciation at the same time 100%
>  involvement.
> Our grandfather is now one such !
>

> - Joshi

Yes!  The vairagya accompanying muktha doesn't conflict with compassion, which
is an expression of the bhavana of at-one-ment (the undercurrent Sat).

namaste.
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 06:47:01 GMT
To: "Advaita (non-duality) with reverence" <ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU>
From: Ken Stuart <kstuart at MAIL.TELIS.ORG>
Subject: New Ramana Maharshi Video
Comments: To: "Advaita (non-duality) with reverence" <ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU>

Hello,

A new Ramana Maharshi video will be released on December 30, 1996
called "Abide As the Self: The Essential Teachings of Ramana
Maharshi".

It is narrated by Ram Dass, includes "comprehensive film footage and
rare photographs" and interviews with HWL Poonja, Douglas Harding, and
Allan W. Anderson among others.

For more information, contact:  inner at InnerDir.org
and they have a web site at: http://www.well.com/user/inner

Namaskar,

Ken

kstuart at mail.telis.org