Ancient Knowledge, New Knowledge

Giri gmadras at ENGR.UCDAVIS.EDU
Wed Oct 9 23:22:08 CDT 1996

On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Ms. Aikya Param wrote:

>What is the philosophy of today?
>Postmodernism?
>Or is the philosophy of science our philiosophy,
>or the philosophy driving the internet?

        The philosophy of today is upto the individual. There is nothing
wrong with the philosophy of science, if science is understood properly.
As Einstein put is 'The real business of physicists is to find the
ultimate reality.'

>restate the whole explanation the way today's scientist would explain the
>same-using the chemical table of elements (plus mind) or the parts of the
>atom (plus mind) instead of the five elements plus mind.

        One of the quantum realities is that consciousness creates matter.
Another is the "many world explanation". Interconnectedness thereoms prove
that everyone is connected. All these "quantum realities" cannot be
disproven, but cannot be proven either conclusively either. The
scientists, and people working in quantum mechanics are well aware of the
problems associated with consciousness, matter, mind. There are numerous
books written on the subject, including connecting them to the eastern
philosophy (like the book Tao of physics). One of the recent proponents of
"consciousness created reality" is the famous "S-matrix" Stapp (author of
Mind, Matter and quantum mechanics) who has expanded on the ideas of von
Neumann.
        It is just being pointed out that many scientists are well aware
of the paradoxes in quantum physics, and the eastern philosophy's thinking.
This is not even recent. Oppenheimer even quoted from the Gita while he was
being prosecuted by the state regarding the atomic bomb.

Namaste.