Disciples of Ramana Maharshi

egodust egodust at DIGITAL.NET
Sun Oct 27 23:59:01 CST 1996

Ken wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Oct 1996 15:59:11 GMT, egodust <egodust at DIGITAL.NET> wrote:
>
> >Ken Stewart wrote:

> >> reproduced
> specific...

> effective),
> degree,
>  shattered...
> >>
> >> Okay, but why would this cause them to think they had realized the
> >> Self, when in reality, they were still operating from the viewpoint of
> >> ego?
> >>

> >How have you determined this?  Can you site an example?--without implicating
> >anyone--, a generalization would suffice.
>
> Okay, but this is an oversimplification, because a detailed discussion
> of this case is not germane, and also because I don't have available
> at the moment the exact quotes.
>
> In one case, two disciples ended up getting into an argument, which,
> amongst other things, involved them both making statements that
> implied that the other was not enlightened, but instead was acting
> from an egoic viewpoint.
>
> Normally, this would allow the case that one was right and the other
> was wrong, except that in this case, one was the designated
> "successor" of the other.
>
> PS  I agree that such examples should be made without reference to
> specific names......
>

> Namaskar,
>
> Ken
>
> kstuart at mail.telis.org

I don't think that would necessarily be grounds to cancel each of them
out as being less than genuine or effective teachers.  Differences of
opinion regarding relative-world philosophy or methodological strategy
doesn't need to have any bearing on their jnana.  Even if they attack
each other, claiming the other was 'unenlightened.'  The state of the
jivanmukta is ineffable and not amenable to the polarized intellect.

It's always best to discriminate for ourselves--re what's our *own* best
course--than to cast conclusive judgements on life conditions that really
defy any sort of categorization, by their very nature [which is actually
an unsolvable mystery].

namaskaar.