Disciples of Ramana

Giri gmadras at ENGR.UCDAVIS.EDU
Mon Oct 28 14:25:52 CST 1996

On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, Natha Bhaktyananda wrote:

> Though Ramana Maharshi may have denied any disciples, there are hosts of
> people : Sadhu Arunachala, Balaram Reddy, Kunju Swami, Ganapati Muni etc
>
> Interesting enough, all have appeared as *enlightened* disciples *after*
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^
> the death (mahasamadhi) of the Maharishi -- unlike the cases of

        Oh, really ? Did they come to you and say they were enlightened or
did you just assume it ? Please produce quotes from the four above saying
'I am enlightened.'

Giri

Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 21:31:40 GMT
To: "Advaita (non-duality) with reverence" <ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU>
From: Ken Stuart <kstuart at MAIL.TELIS.ORG>
Subject: Re: Disciples of Ramana
Comments: To: "Advaita (non-duality) with reverence" <ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU>

Hello,

On Mon, 28 Oct 1996 12:25:52 -0800, Giri <gmadras at ENGR.UCDAVIS.EDU>
wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, Natha Bhaktyananda wrote:
>
>> Though Ramana Maharshi may have denied any disciples, there are hosts of
>> people : Sadhu Arunachala, Balaram Reddy, Kunju Swami, Ganapati Muni etc
>>
>> Interesting enough, all have appeared as *enlightened* disciples *after*
>                    ^^^^^^^^^^^
>> the death (mahasamadhi) of the Maharishi -- unlike the cases of
>
>        Oh, really ? Did they come to you and say they were enlightened or
>did you just assume it ? Please produce quotes from the four above saying
>'I am enlightened.'

But what would such quotes prove?

Every charlatan says "I am enlightened".

Generally, the only fairly reliable indicators are:

- Pronouncement by that person's teacher that the person has finished
their sadhana.   This, of course, depends on the reliability of the
teacher, in turn.

- Acclaim and recognition by other respected spiritual leaders.

- Most importantly, the effect of the person in question on you - "by
their fruits ye shall know them".

Namaskar,

Ken

kstuart at mail.telis.org